PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus Service ?

herodotus
18th Jun 2003, 20:28
I flew last week on EI - down the back. The CC senior told me that management had decided that there would be no bars and therefore only tea and coffee was available. Isn't this a bit thick - I was willing to pay - seems like revenue lost not costs saved. I could have done with a cheap drink given the price of a pint in Dublins fair but pricey city. Is this policy going to stay or do I have to take my addictions to FR.

ManaAdaSystem
18th Jun 2003, 20:35
Then you better stay away from KLM as well. Dry economy class on all European sectors as of June 1.
Low cost service and full fares. A BAD idea.

trustno1
18th Jun 2003, 21:14
Herodotus.

I think it will only be a matter of time before you see EI introducing a bar service which you pay for in Economy. The CX Willie Walsh seems intent on copying Micheal O'leary's method of running an airline. With the aid of cost cutting EI managed to turn a profit of EUR60m last year with a plan to increase this to EUR100m this year. I often travel on the LHR-DUB route both in Econ (when I'm paying) and Premier (when someone else is paying). The service up the front is not a lot better. You get one drink, a sandwich and a bar of chocolate from the inflight service. Overall though I would choose EI over FR and BD (emotional attachment). The other two are just as good in my experience.

PaxmanwithInfo
18th Jun 2003, 21:21
I had though that the EI Cabin Crew's unwillingness to serve drinks was an Industrial Relations issue - whereby they were refusing to serve drinks based on some working practice related grudge? Perhaps I'm mistaken. I did not think that it was a management decision at all. Maybe someone from EI could elaborate?

martinidoc
19th Jun 2003, 00:22
When BE took over the Newcastle-Dublin route from Lingus, the service went from Champagne etc included to having to pay for a glass of wine in business class. At £300 or so return, I refused to fly with BE again. Sad to see that Lingus are now following suite.

Petty you may think, but frankly when I go bus class, I expect comfort and frills thrown in!

Idunno
19th Jun 2003, 00:57
PaxmanwithInfo is correct. When Aer Lingus dropped the free bar service in economy they told the CCMs to start collecting cash for drinks. In response they asked for the same percentage as FR CCMs get for this task. The company told them shove it. So they shoved it.

Once again WW gets at the staff via the pax.

MarkD
19th Jun 2003, 04:36
apparently Jetmagic's full service flights (EMB145) from ORK are quite popular, haven't done them yet but papers regularly report satisfied pax.

Perhaps Dublin should find a few entrepreneurs willing to fund some Embraers? Then bizpax can tell WW, RodE et al to buck up their act...

Buster the Bear
19th Jun 2003, 04:58
Prices are not too bad either, seem pretty consistant with Arran UK fares to Ireland, althougth the two do not directly compeet.

Peet, get it?

My mate Boggy digs the stuff!

MarkD
19th Jun 2003, 07:25
Perhaps he digs "peat" Mr. Bear? :p

sugarbird
19th Jun 2003, 17:48
Better avoid Air France too.

Flew AF from Paris after a visit to the show. Aircraft full of kids and grannies on way home from Disneyland Paris, noisy as hell.
Sat next to a couple with babes in arms so once the door was shut spotted empty seats a couple of rows down.

Everyone happy? The po-faced f/a wasn't. I was now sitting in a different class she told me and I would have to move. I told her I didn't want the meal(??) or the service just the seat. I still had to move she said. Informed of my status as flying a staff ticket she sniffed, shrugged and moved along.

Now a three class cabin on a 320? Same seat as Economy, no extra space, no extra service apart from a complmentary towelette and a sarnie. This mythical class isn't even on their website - when I tried to find out how much extra it cost it just gave me L'Espace which was three rows further on.

May have to be easyJet from now on!!

Speedbrake Lever
19th Jun 2003, 17:58
I'm afraid the word Service is no longer in the Aer Lingus Dictionary

Business class to LHR from DUB and i get a Bag contents unknown

I think Easy's, Ryans, and the rest of the cheap ride gang have taken their toll

If you have to make a connection ex LHR then i suppose you're stuck but at least BMI offer a service.

S.L.