PDA

View Full Version : How did you choose your Pprune name?

stiknruda
17th Jun 2003, 23:52
Some are very obvious "Bloke in an Archer", "Whirlybird", etc. and some seem to defy any logic at all!

I undestand why Aerbabe and BEagle use these appelations.

So what is your story?

Stik

Victor Mike Charlie
18th Jun 2003, 00:05
Mine was clear as a bell

FlyFreeWbe
18th Jun 2003, 00:10
It's my life ambition to live up to my PPRuNe name: I'm a wannabe who wants to fly free. I'll figure it out someday...trust. (Call me stupid for not knowing bt why AerBabe and BEagle? I have seen some pictures tho..)

Free

Circuit Basher
18th Jun 2003, 00:22
Stik - sorry, it's been done before (twice at least)!!! :)

PPRuNe Names Origin Thread 1 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80339)

PPRuNe Names Origin Thread 2 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79091&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

Still, let's see what happens.... ;)

Ludwig
18th Jun 2003, 00:23
before I was an inept aviator, I was an inept concert pianist:cool:

Evo
18th Jun 2003, 00:25
My first nom-de-PPRuNe was ex-job-specific, made a couple of posts in Mil Aircrew and is now long dead. I remembered PPRuNe when I started to think about learning to fly and had to register to post - and being totally ignorant when it came to aeroplanes I named myself after my car :rolleyes:

The '7' disappeared when I re-registered after becoming uncertain of password :)

FlyFreeWbe
18th Jun 2003, 00:50
Wait wait! I found AerBabe's one so I guess I'll find BEagle's. Thanks to the links:}

Genghis the Engineer
18th Jun 2003, 00:52
Acquired early in my career (pre-pprune), as my colleagues will tell you, it suits my working style.

G

Wide-Body
18th Jun 2003, 01:17
Because I fly one and I am one:D

Wide

nonradio
18th Jun 2003, 02:04
er.. because when at play, my flying machine has no wireless...

flyin' shark
18th Jun 2003, 02:05
First ever post, but was intrigued by the topic.

My pprune name is based on what my flying friends think of my day job...

BRL
18th Jun 2003, 02:07
Mine comes from when I started to learn to fly.

Someone bought me a jokey L plate, a big one saying to put it on the side of the aeroplane when I have a lesson.

I placed it on the wall next to my pc and when I came to register on pprune I was stuck. I sat staring at it for ages then suddenly thought hmmmmmmm, thats a big red L so I logged on as that... :)

Best name I have seen so far is 'Far Canal'....... :D

Zlin526
18th Jun 2003, 02:31
Big Red L,

Surely the best has got to be 'Vere de Fakawe'!

My own is pretty obvious- fave aeroplane.

DB6
18th Jun 2003, 03:08
Because DB6 Mk2 was too much hassle :cool:

TheKentishFledgling
18th Jun 2003, 04:00
Because Cusco called me the Fledgling, and Keef said "wot the kentish one"?

So it stuck!

Simple!

tKF

PS stik, explain yours. I know why, but I'm sure not everyone will.

Kolibear
18th Jun 2003, 04:20
Because I fly a Koliber. Actually, I fly the Koliber that was featured last month in a well-known monthly GA magazine.

foghorn
18th Jun 2003, 04:27
Was once likened to Loony Tunes character Foghorn Leghorn

Wycombe
18th Jun 2003, 05:24
Mine was very unimaginative

vintage ATCO
18th Jun 2003, 05:43
Because I'm old and an ATCO . . . .
. . . . and also a FISO at Shuttleworth. :p

VA

Tiger_ Moth
18th Jun 2003, 06:02
Because I both like and fly Tiger Moths.

The reason I have this stupid underscore in my name is because it wouldn't accept just plain Tiger Moth, but I've never seen anyone else of that username so I don't know what was going on there.

Flying Boat
18th Jun 2003, 06:18
Because I teach Diving for fun, so like boats & of course I love flying (more than diving now).

I also have a figure akin to a Shorts Sunderland.

Make sense?

FB:O

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Jun 2003, 06:22
Everywhere else I use my real name, but nobody on PPRuNe uses their real name ... so I thought that if I have to play silly games ... anyway, I like wombats.

(But I haven't got a picture of one on any of my Oz wildlife (http://www.brettward.co.uk/family/ozlife.htm) pages (http://www.brettward.co.uk/family/oz/ozlife2.htm) ; the problem with wombats is that when you point a camera at them they run up to you and try to eat it, and I've never managed to press the shutter before they get too close.)

Secret Squire
18th Jun 2003, 06:37
Cos people in real life call me secret squirrel, but some :mad: had already nabbed it! :rolleyes:

Secret

Maxflyer
18th Jun 2003, 07:05
I have just passed my skills test and wished that I had done it years ago. My son (11 months old) is going to fly and become RED ONE - His name is Max. MAXFLYER

ShyTorque
18th Jun 2003, 07:28
In a previous life I often used to watch a type of bird called the "Black Eared Kite" circling past my high-rise apartment window. They live on rubbish and carrion and so such birds are also called the "****e Hawk".

After I changed location and job type, I was required to fly in circles searching for bad folks that often fitted the rubbish description.

I became "ShyTorque" instead though, as it was slightly less rude than the original spelling!

paulo
18th Jun 2003, 07:40
Incompetence. My name is Paul and a mate of mine nicknamed me paolo (or whatever it is), i.e. "pow-lo",

'cept I obviously didn't/don't know how to spell it. Hence, err, yeah...

Wot No Engines
18th Jun 2003, 12:27
cos I've never flown anything with wings that has an engine

Ripline
18th Jun 2003, 18:59
Wings? What they?
:rolleyes:

For a balloon pilot the Ripline is the second most important flying control. "Crownline" sounded too posh and "Dump" is open to mis-interpretation........:E

witchdoctor
18th Jun 2003, 19:07
Don't ask - I'm as baffled as you!

Coke611
18th Jun 2003, 19:08
mine was from MSN Zone when I used to play flight sim online. The Coke bit is from my surname (Louis Coke is the full name), and the 611 bit is summat that MSN decided to add!

stiknruda
18th Jun 2003, 19:14
Actually, DB6, seeing you arrive on Saturday at Breighton in your rather splendid Aston caused me to query other's Pprune names.

Why you were still wearing your pajama bottoms still baffles me!

Stik

tacpot
18th Jun 2003, 20:40
The name of my favourite cartoon character was already taken, so I spelt it backwards. It seemed to make sense at the time.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
18th Jun 2003, 20:45
Ripline had already nicked, well, ripline... :mad: :)

For a balloon pilot the Ripline is the second most important flying control. "Crownline" sounded too posh and "Dump" is open to mis-interpretation........

The most important control, of course, being the blastvalve, but i didn't like the sound of that, so...

A friend/colleague had recently bought me an RTFM tee-shirt. Cannot imagine why she thought it would be helpful for me to wear it, rather than say it :ooh:

Somebody else suggested that it might be just a tad too "in your face", so I lenghtend it :)

(well, it's better than the Adminspotting (http://www.adminspotting.org/) one :mad: :E [ Edited to add: there are some naughty :mad: words on the adminspotting site, in case you are of a nervous disposition :rolleyes: ] )

NinjaBill
18th Jun 2003, 21:03
becasuse im not an ninja, and my name isnt bill.

FloatLikeAButterfly
19th Jun 2003, 01:17
I'm learning to glide as well doing my PPL so the floating bit seemed apposite. Also, much as I find the principles of flight and aeroplane techie stuff interesting, what I would really like to do is dispense with the aeroplane altogether and just take off unaided into the wide blue yonder.

I'll shut up now before I find myself taking off unaided into the local looney bin!

Floaty

Saab Dastard
19th Jun 2003, 05:32
1) Have a Saab (well the wife has now ;) - mine's become an Audi)

2) Have an airband receiver and listen to Heathrow and the aeroplanes talking to each other while watching them on final approach.

3) I like Spoonerisms

Clear? :cool:

SD

paulo
19th Jun 2003, 06:54
Stik... bloke in an Archer isn't in an Archer anymore though.

I think he's BlokeInAC172GroupBasedAtNorthWeald or something like that. :}

In Altissimus
19th Jun 2003, 16:56
Paulo,

I think we've done that one to death:rolleyes: Some nice modbod even made my little announcement sticky for a couple of days - but it's okay, I've had a bath now and the stickiness has gone...

Yours,

Ex-BlokeInAnArcher

Brooklands
19th Jun 2003, 21:37
Actually I didn't choose it Whirly did :D

It was at the Sywell fly-in when we were all introducing ourselves. I'd arrived with Wycombe, and was introduced as a "PPruNer with no name". Whirly took one look at the sweatshirt I was wearing and christened me Brooklands.

I decided that I liked it, as its the birthplace of both British motor racing and aviation so I registered with it (and was quite surprised to find no one else had beaten me to it).

I've actually been Ppruning for a long time though - I was going to register a few years ago as the 9999th member (nickname All_the _nines). I stayed late a work one night waiting for the magic number to come up, but gave up at about midnight about four short of the target. I'm pretty certain that I can remember reading PPrune when there were LESS THAN 5000 registered users, and long before there was a Private Flying forum :(

j0_ey
19th Jun 2003, 21:53
My name is Joey. Creative aren't I :ok:

Tall_guy_in_a_152
19th Jun 2003, 22:26
I am tall (6'4).
I am male.
I fly a Cessna 152 (mostly).
I was probably subliminally influenced by the ppruner formerly known as BlokeInAnArcher.

TG

BlueRobin
19th Jun 2003, 23:54
..coz it's what I learnt to fly in, guv. A Blue Robin. But now I own the antithesis of a Blue Robin. A Red Jodel.

Perfect for popping into stik's strip ;)

TangoZulu
20th Jun 2003, 02:01
Simple really

The aeroplane I went solo in was G-BXTZ

TZ:cool:

YYZ to POS
20th Jun 2003, 02:17
Hmmm...Well, I was born in Trinidad & Tobago, but I currently live in Toronto, Canada.

YYZ-Toronto, Canada
POS-Port of Spain, Trinidad

Simple enough

DB6
20th Jun 2003, 03:36
Stik, do I detect a hint of envy at my cutting-edge sartorial elegance :D :D :D .
Nice pic in Pilot by the way :ok: .

skydriller
20th Jun 2003, 05:02
Because I dont just drill holes in the ground......:E

BeauMan
20th Jun 2003, 05:40
Because I was involved in a Beaufighter restoration, and had turned into a self confessed devotee of Bristol's finest.

strafer
20th Jun 2003, 20:08
I realised I was getting the hang of this flying lark when my instructor became so bored he took the controls so that he could pretend to strafe the traffic on the I-95. (Complete with dagga! dagga! dagga! noises).

Blind lemon
20th Jun 2003, 20:21
Because I am a Bluesman
:cool:

Ace Rimmer
20th Jun 2003, 21:43
Erm cos the day I registered (blimey that was a long time ago) the talk at lunchtime had been of Red Dwarf so it could have been Dave Lister, Arnold Rimmer, Kryten or Cat really but I think a couple of them had already gone...

stiknruda
21st Jun 2003, 03:59
DB6 - jealous of neither your sartorial or tonsorial inelegance!

:D

That pic - I am quite convinced that is a landing, if you recall the wind was strong and out of the north.... so the wrong wing would have been down had I caught a gust on take-off but that wing would/should/could have been down on an arrival!

Stik

knobbygb
21st Jun 2003, 04:26
Been known as Knobby for ages. Unfortunately not a reference to any physical attribute. Anyone who knows the 'Macc Lads' and thier character 'Uncle Knobby' will know where it comes from (Uncle Knobby (http://www.macclads.co.uk/hectic_house/lyrics/lyrics_alpha/uncle.html) ) - I'm not like that at all - honest! GB is just my initals - added by some poxy website once when just Knobby wasn't available.

Lance Murdoch
21st Jun 2003, 05:43
Lance Murdoch is an occasional character from 'The Simpsons'. He is the alcoholic stuntman who is always in hospital with broken bones or cirrosis of the liver. Seemed rather apt............

ratsarrse
21st Jun 2003, 07:05
Years ago, I decided that I wanted to try and play Command & Conquer online. Whatever username I thought of was taken, started getting frustrated and started typing in swear words. A mis-typed ratsarse was miraculously accepted and the name has stuck ever since in the murky world of the web...

Doesn't really suit me though, but hey, I couldn't really give a rat's arse...

LowNSlow
21st Jun 2003, 14:07
Easy peasy, when I first started Ppruning I had a 65hp Cub and I get nosebleeds if I fly higher than I'm prepared to fall down
;)

Whirlybird
21st Jun 2003, 15:27
Mine's obvious, as someone said, but I wasn't always Whirly.....

Way back in the dim and distant past, when PPRune's number of members was only in 4 figures and I was a newish PPL(A), I got my first PC. I got introduced to the Flyer email list, and someone on it mentioned PPRuNe. PPRuNe had this chat room, and having heard about these strange places, I tried it...as Amelia Earhart II (not a lot of people know that). Well, chat was new, and no-one knew what to say in it...it was kind of silence, then: "Do you fly?" Silence, then: "Yes". Then another long silence while this awesome information in an aviation chat room was digested. You get the point. I left PPRuNe chat, and forgot about it for a while.

When I came back, I was hooked on little whirly things, so I not only went into the chat room, I registered on the forums, as R22. I was R22 for quite a while. But time passed, and I tried a few other names...I think Fling Wing may still be around; not sure if Whirling Palmtree is.

Then I started going to bashes and things, and I wanted a NICE name, one I could live with for ever. So I tried Whirlybird...but it was taken!!! I was distraught; I was virtually living in the Rotorheads forum, I just KNEW there wasn't a Whirlybird, but it was gone. So I had an idea. If I put an askerisk after it, it would look like a rotor (if you have a good imagination). So I became Whirlybird*. Well, people asked about the askerisk, and at a bash one day, PPRuNe Dispatcher asked if I wanted to be just Whirlybird. He'd checked, and the original Whirlybird had only one post, but was long gone. So, to cut this exceedingly longwinded story a little shorter, he arranged it, and even kept Whirlybird*'s posts, and gave me back R22's and Fling Wing's posts...but don't get too jealous, I lost 400 posts in a server crash later on, and couldn't get them back.

So, you see, it's time to confess...

I'm not REALLY The Original Whirly. :{ :{ :{

Lost_luggage34
22nd Jun 2003, 04:52
Well sorry for being boring, but after 350 or so sectors as SLF with expensive CISCO kit aboard have lost my lugagge more times than I care to recall.

Simple as that.

Try explaining that to a highly excited Italian boss back in Brussels !!

Why haven't you installed ..... in Berlin, Copenhagen, Madrid, Oslo, Frankfurt, London, Barcelona, Milan, Zurich etc etc ..
errrr - because my equipment is in ........ (choose a 3 letter code)/ I don't know.

But with all respect to the guys that up and offload - most of the time a great job. I have applied to work on the ramp but been told to walk.

LL34

Hilico
22nd Jun 2003, 05:12
Mine's a contraction of my company name. The company that for three years has been trying to sell aviation software. So it's obvious a) what the company is and b) who I am. Not. But I have had (and continue to have) tremendous fun trying.

In case Paterbrat ever looks at this, it's a three-syllable name and the first syllable rhymes with 'high' and the second with 'lie'. He shouldn't be addressing me as 'Hills'. That would get me confused in the public mind with Steve McQueen in 'The Great Escape'.

OK PB, carry on!

Sir George Cayley
22nd Jun 2003, 16:31
The father of aeronautics has been my lifelong hero. I had always felt his name was overlooked by history so choose it to pay homage and keep him in the public domain

Now that we approach the 150th anniversary of his aircrafts first flight hopefully his profile has been raised to its proper position.

He gave us a saying which I believe is the private pilots creed

The air is a navigable ocean that laps at everyones door

Sir George Cayley

maflsc
23rd Jun 2003, 19:24
When I first registered I could not think of anything. Then I had what I thought was a good name which was obvious to me but no one else was to use part of the name of my flying school. It is the first two letters of each word:ok:

Lucifer
23rd Jun 2003, 19:40
I was laying waste to an unfortunate village, and infecting dangerous minds with all sorts of un-Christian thoughts when I came across a rumour network that I determined to perfectly suit my purposes of increasing my power through spreading false rumour.

With this in mind I intend to take over the planet - what other communties do you know of that worship false idols so greatly. Mines a Yak-666.

paulo
24th Jun 2003, 07:40
Apologies to BlokeNoLongerInAn... sorry, it's the gag that keep on giving. You musta seen that... :}