PDA

View Full Version : PPL and Ground School Training

cdrake
17th Jun 2003, 21:58
Planning to train as a professional pilot using the modular route. Please advise on good places to train for JAR PPL (UK or USA).

Also looking for advice on groundschool training. Is there any opinion on whether training is any better/worse at Oxford Aviation or London Metroplitan University?

What do you get for your extra money for training at Oxford as opposed to somewhere else?

Will potential employers look at where you did your training or is it just a matter of attaining your frozen licence any way you can? (obviously budget plays a big role in deciding where to do your training).

Would appreciate any advice possible on any of the above!

PilotOnline
17th Jun 2003, 22:47
This post may get more response in Wannabees if it can be moved?

The best advice I can offer is to type those names along with 'Modular' and 'Integrated' into the search function on PPRUNE and be prepared to spend several days looking through the threads. There are hundreds. There is even one going on in Wannabees at the moment regarding Modular students and FO positions which throws up the usual arguments relevant to the subject!

The most important thing is to look at which school suits you best, meets your budget, has decent equipment etc etc, all of which can be found by getting their info from the web and then by going and visiting them. I'm not going to comment on the percieved merits/drawbacks of school choice as the searches will cover that for you in a lot of depth!

Re: the groundschool. I don't think London Metropolitan will send you examples of their material but you can either go and visit or ask them for their entrance pack which I think is a similar style to their notes (I don't know this for sure). Bristol will send you examples and a CD-Rom and you can see Oxford's notes in any pilot shop selling the manuals e.g Transair. Then compare them, see which you feel are better for you. Of course if you are going to do it full time then definitely visit them first.:ok: