PDA

View Full Version : Elevator trim question.

Irlandés
17th Jun 2003, 18:27
Hi,
I'm from the rotory wing world so please bear with me. Question is simple. When you trim off control forces in a climb using elevator trim, is there any physical movement of the control column needed or does the use of trim hold the column in the 'climb' position. That's it. Thanks!

Irlandés

FlyingForFun
17th Jun 2003, 19:07
The position of the control column depends entirely on the position of the actual control surfaces. So the answer to your question depends on how you interpret the question.

During "normal" flight, you would set your attitude, then, holding the control column (and therefore the control surfaces) in place, you would trim off the forces. So the control column would not move. Answer: No.

However, if you were to release the control column, and move the trim wheel (which is not a "normal" way of flying) then Yes, the control column would move.

Hope that answers the question. I dont' envy you rotary guys having to learn loads of pointless fixed-wing stuff to keep the examiners happy!

FFF
---------

Irlandés
18th Jun 2003, 00:56
Thanks FFF, yes that answers my question. Actually I've already got my CPL(H) but was half thinking of getting my PPL(A) so am presently going through the motions on FS2002 before laying out more wads of cash.

Once again, thanks for all your help. :)

parris50
18th Jun 2003, 06:13
Yes, my CPL instructor would shout at me if I ever dared to try and control the aircraft with the trim wheel! It should only be used to take out control forces.