PDA

View Full Version : CPL or ATPL?

Readability5
17th Jun 2003, 18:01
I've had a PPL for 6 years and have 250 hours (150 P1) on basic and complex singles. I've also added IMC and Night ratings to my brown book.

I've always been interested in an aviation career when other financial committments have eased - but probably as an instructor, ferry pilot or bis aviation rather than airlines.

In your guys experience could I ask:

- should I go for an ATPL or CPL?
- at what point should I add ME/IR?
- how much could I expect to pay (bearing in mind my existing experience)?
- what order should I attempt these in to try and be flying full time in 5 - 7 years?
- can anybody rave about a training organisation in south east England?

Thanks for your patience.
R5.

GASH !
17th Jun 2003, 18:59
You will have to get a CPL before an ATPL. If you wanted a CPL now, then you would have to do the ATPL theory exams then a CPL flying course. You say you may want to be an instructor, at this point (on completion of CPL flying course) you could do an FI rating and work as a paid instructor. Now no doubt somebody will post and tell you that you don't need a CPL to instruct but you DO need one to get paid, so you really should do the CPL first.

Now, you also state that you may fancy a job in the corporate world, to do this you would need an Instrument Rating, once added to your CPL this licence is known as a CPL/IR. You will need to have the IR three years after your last ATPL exam pass to make sure your theory credits stay valid for ATPL issue. You may also hear the term Frozen ATPL, there is actually no such thing, this is just a term dreamt up by a flying training organisation to make a CPL/IR with ATPL theory credits sound better than it actually is. The ATPL licence issue comes later, at 1500 hours providing you meet the multi crew requirements etc

I imagine you are in a better position than most as you already have a bit of experience and exceed the minimum hours requirement to start any professional training course. I'm sure this along with your IMC rating will make things a little easier for you. I hope this helps, good luck.

Token Bird
17th Jun 2003, 19:23
GASH! said

If you wanted a CPL now, then you would have to do the ATPL theory exams

Not true. You need only do the CPL theory. However, not many organisations offer it. If there is the slightest chance that you may wish to add an IR within 3 years, do the ATPL theory 'cos it'll save you hassle later on. If you are certain you will never want to do the IR, you might as well just do the CPL theory,

TB

Andrew M
18th Jun 2003, 08:15
And the CPL theory exams are held in Gatwick only aren't they ?

Token Bird
18th Jun 2003, 16:33
Currently yes, whether this will change if enough people nag them, I don't know.