PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building

MrBadger
16th Jun 2003, 17:08
I'm flying to Sydney next week to do some hour building prior to starting ATPL groundschool back in the UK.

I plan to do around 100 hours.

Can anyone please give me an indication of how to structure this time?

Is it worth doing the Night rating and other endorsements in Oz, or will I only have to do them again when back in the UK prior to my CPL?

Kind regards,

MrBadger.

FlyingForFun
16th Jun 2003, 17:57
All training for a license or rating needs to be done at an authorised training establishment, so you won't be able to do much in the way of formal training and have it recognised when you get back to the UK.

The night qualification is the exception. Since this is a "qualification", not a "rating" or "license", you can do it wherever you want. It's probably worth getting the form before you go to Oz, though - I did my night qualification in the US, but didn't think to take the form with me, and had to fax it to my instructor to sign when I got back.

Apart from that, I'd recommend doing as wide a variety of things as you can, and having fun! Make sure you do the 200nm cross-country with two stops other than you starting airfield. Try to get in a few long cross countries and spend the night in some interesting places. Try out some new aircraft. Maybe get checked out on a complex aircraft like an Arrow. Work on circuits until you can land consistently (but not so much that you get bored of them!) But most importantly, have a good time!

FFF
---------------

MrBadger
16th Jun 2003, 22:57
Thanks FFF,

which form do I need to take with me? (for the night rating). How do I get hold of one, I'm leaving on the 25th.

Kind regards,

MrBadger.

FlyingForFun
16th Jun 2003, 23:09
This one (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1126.pdf).

FFF
--------------

gus_honeybun
17th Jun 2003, 00:04
hate to be a pedent, but it's a 300 nm cross country with two intermediate stops.

FlyingForFun
17th Jun 2003, 00:17
Yes it is - slip of the finger on my part. Nothing pedantic about it though - being 100nm out is quite a big difference :eek: :O

FFF
------------

MrBadger
17th Jun 2003, 05:31
Thanks once again.

no sponsor
20th Jun 2003, 18:53
If you plan to do hour building in Oz on the basis of your UK licence (or other foreign licence) and apply for a certificate based on this, then the Oz CAA will only issue you a certificate for day VFR, irrespective of other ratings you have, including an IR. As part of the requirement to be allowed to fly solo, you must complete a series of flight tests, including a cross-country test with a CFI. Don’t underestimate the time it takes to do these; especially if you plan to fly from a busy club. Ignore the claims that a certificate is issued ‘while-you-wait’. It takes 24 hrs on a weekday. All of your additions, such as CSU and undercarriage will be endorsed on your certificate at an additional cost.

If you fly from the larger cities and airfields, you’ll be required to learn all the entry/exit procedures for that airfield. The Australians also decided to make all of their restricted airspace right next to the main cities, so in and around Sydney there are a number of restrictions the CFI will want to make sure you know before you are let loose.

If you plan to train to obtain ratings, then you have to apply for a Oz licence, and follow the hoops this entails. This would mean you sitting exams, and passing various flight tests. I guess you could do solo nights to earn towards to rating in the UK. But night flying in Oz away from built up areas is not recommended. The nights are as black as can be, and spatial disorientation could occur quite easily.

Flying long distances in Oz is no problem, although it is nothing like flying in Europe or the US. There are very few VORs, and those that are available do not always have DME. There is little ATC, and no radar control outside of the main areas. Position reporting becomes important for flying into most fields. Due to the distances involved, NDBs are much more widespread, and most seem to navigate using these. Flying 500nm in one afternoon does is run of the mill stuff. Most airfields are unmanned, and you’ll need a Carnet card to refuel, which are provided by clubs.

This time of year would be good to fly north. If you fly from Sydney, then this time of year can be touch and go, and some days will be non VFR.

Have a good time. It’s the country to fly in!!

mad_jock
20th Jun 2003, 19:29
The xcountry is at least 2 stops, mine had 6 stops in it and even a hour of MEP training in the middle.

Towards the end of my hour building I used to commute 1.5hrs each way to do the MEP which also goes towards you 150hrs.

MJ