PDA

View Full Version : New Glasgow-Edinburgh Airport

tampabay
16th Jun 2003, 00:43
Did anyone here the rumour about Edinburgh and Glasgow airports being turned into small regionals and a whole new airport being built somewhere between the two, the new airport would supposedly be on a par with Heathrow and would become the second airport in the UK, allowing Scotland to take much more transatlantic traffic and basically cut out the middle man for Scots going abroad and visa versa ( England ). I think this is an excellent idea and would be much better spent money than the millenium dome or the Scottish Parliament building to name a couple...the new airport would bring much more business and tourism north of the border and would also be good for the UK as a whole as it allows them to compete with other countries who have several "big" airports, all we have at the moment is Heathrow and possibly Manchester. If this airport were built it would most likely attract flights such as Hong Kong, Los Angeles and some African routes.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or feelings on this matter?

nighthawk117
16th Jun 2003, 01:16
they have been talking about this since the 1970's... They decided back then that it was not worth the investment...

Now its too late, far too much money has been spent on EDI / GLA, I cant see BAA abandoning the two airports and building another!

In principle its a great idea, but the cost just outweighs the limited benefits it would offer. I cant see it ever happening.

Meeb
16th Jun 2003, 02:29
Groan... not this old chesnut again...

There is more chance of Air Scotland becoming Scotlands national carrier... :)

Joe Curry
16th Jun 2003, 03:20
>>Groan... not this old chesnut again...<<

One wonders where Tampabay has been recently. :(