PDA

View Full Version : "Old" scrap larger aircraft

luoto
15th Jun 2003, 23:41
Sorry.. I could not find anywhere really to post this!

Where might one in Western Europe or W CIS buy an old "scrap" aircraft, i.e. small Boeing or suchlike which could be a tasteful ground conversion?

A goodle search has been very quiet!!

Thanks for any tips.

Basil
16th Jun 2003, 01:08
EAAC has an A330 with no engines lying at Bournemouth. They may take offers.

MarkD
16th Jun 2003, 01:32
why is the 330 grounded?

PaperTiger
16th Jun 2003, 02:36
Time-expired A300 actually.

S76Heavy
16th Jun 2003, 04:28
Apparently, they can be pick up just like that in Africa...:}

luoto
17th Jun 2003, 00:17
Thanks for the tip so far. How do these ever get shipped by road and sea?

PlaneTruth
17th Jun 2003, 00:46
luoto,

If you are serious about acquiring an older aircraft, it would be far cheaper to buy a high time aircraft and have it ferried to your location. Boeing 737-200's are reportedly available from brokers now for as little as $200,000 USD. DC-9/MD-80's are probably the same if you can find any currently airworthy. That wouldn't begin to cover the cost of disassembling a large A-300, much less shipping it or restoring it to airworthiness. Older larger aircraft are available but they will command a higher price as reflected in their scrap potential. Finding an older aircraft coming off service with a current airworthiness ticket is your most cost effective option. Even if some items are inoperative, you can apply for a one time ferry permit

PT

luoto
17th Jun 2003, 01:51
Planetruth. Thanks for the info. I am serious but not #200k serious just to plonk in some ground and then convert to a ground studio or suchlike. #200k is a lot of cash which I don't have sitting in my shirt pocket. I had hoped for it being cheaper.. or is that just in the US?

Thanks anyway for the kind info so far. Back to the drawing board for me.

spagiola
17th Jun 2003, 03:40
It's unlikely to be significantly cheaper for any type still in reasonably widespread use, as there's significant value in taking an old aircraft apart for spares for the remaining flyable examples. Beyond that, there's the value of the scrap metal itself.

But you may find a deal somewhere -- an airframe long abandoned on an airport, for example, for a type that either has no significant parts value, or for which corrosion and neglect has reduced the parts value. The airport authority (who may own because of unpaid fees etc) may be glad to get it off the property and not ask for much.

GlueBall
18th Jun 2003, 01:15
One of the reasons that old airframes aren't cheap to buy is because of their high grade aluminum content, which when recycled can be used for many consumer products and building materials.

OldCessna
18th Jun 2003, 01:47
Here's a good link to whats stored where etc!

Go to "Stored Aircraft" once you get into the site

http://www.cactuswings.com/

The scrap metal value usually goes to the guys that chop the metal up!

luoto
18th Jun 2003, 19:32
Thanks. I guess I need to find an airline who might not pay landing fees who will fly into my nearby regional Finnish airport... Thanks for all the help so far.

RatherBeFlying
19th Jun 2003, 12:09
Just east of Finland is a vast array of a/c in various states of airworthiness.

IF you can get a clear title and the Finnish CAA allows your new pride and joy to enter their airspace, you may get a good deal.

Precautions:
[list=1]
Don't fly in it.
DO NOT take money into Russia
[/list=1]

19th Jun 2003, 18:07
Depends how big an aircraft you want.
A nice IL62 wouldn't be bad or a smaller TU34, maybe a IL18 if your looking for something with props rather than jets. Should still be plenty around for probably better prices than western aircraft.

luoto
20th Jun 2003, 01:18
..well I have this mad idea that it would make a cool office with space for recording and editing stuff, a rest space and just that something extra to work out of.

Any recommendations from anyone for suitable places in W Europe or CIS (eps online) welcomed. I have got a call to Finnair to see if they know anything too.

Thanks for helping this mad dream keep going.

Basil
22nd Jun 2003, 22:10
Oops! :O thanks, PT; I'm not very good on Airbus twins.

Smoketoomuch
23rd Jun 2003, 05:52
Have to say that it would probably be a lot cheaper to build a mock-up. An airworthy aircraft [one you can fly near to where you want it] is going to very expensive - road transport for an non-airworthy one likewise, esp with dismantling / remantling [?] on top.
You might be able to get some of the basics fairly cheap* though. Scrap doors, instruments, a few seats etc.. even some engines - well, minus the internals, esp if you didn't mind the bits not matching. Build your own fuselage and wings... err somehow.

Would make for a major diy project - just don't try flying it, OK :)

I vaguely remember a guy in the US who had a 737 [?] in his garden, converted to an office [minus wings?]. It looked like a scrapyard to be honest.
Don't expect a gleaming white 'bird of the skies' unless you're prepared to wash it frequently and give it the odd respray - unless you do it will v rapidly start to look like the pile of scrap it is. Ever tried hand washing an aircraft?

*cheap being a relative term. A normal house would be cheaper I'd guess.

luoto
23rd Jun 2003, 14:55
Pssssssssssssssssssscheeeeeeeeeeeew...

There goes one of my "dreams" * going down. Smoketomuch (and other contributors) thank you for this EXCELLENT input which has convinced me short of miraculously finding one locally for a song and in reasonable order I am unlikely to. As for DIY. Well it might start out like a plane but it probably would resemble more of a car by the end !!

I suppose I will give Mr Eddington of BA one chance out of the kindness of my heart to put one of his sadly soon to be grounded Concordes in one of my larger fields. I will not propose to make any storage or handling charges however since I really loved my flights in that lovely aircraft.

** Dreams is a bit too strong a term but it was more than a "would not it be cool to do this" sort of thing.

Anyway, folks. Thanks Again! If AY does come up trumps I will report back but I am not holding my breath.

Luoto.

Knold
23rd Jun 2003, 21:53
There are three 742's at ARN that are probably going under the axe soon. Just rent a big lorry and your set. :E

luoto
23rd Jun 2003, 22:28
Mr (?) Knold.

I dont suppose you have some contact details for the owners.. and do you know the circumstances of the disposal, as in will they want money, lots of money or lots and lots and lots of money.

Thanks.

Knold
23rd Jun 2003, 23:20
The owner is Finnova Capital Inc.

luoto
23rd Jun 2003, 23:47
Thank you. I will go a Googling and a Letter Writing later tonight. Appreciated.

Compass Call
24th Jun 2003, 07:25
Luoto

The people you need to talk to are Max Power Aerospace Inc. Their web site is at www.maxpoweraero.com
They can fix you up no problem. As for the cost,,,,,,well that's another question!! Definitely a home with a difference.
All the best with your search. :ok:

CC
PS.
I think that the scantily clad adornments have to be supplied by yourself.:) :) :)

CC

Knold
24th Jun 2003, 08:31
It's not gonna be cheap. Either you ship it out in parts, which will take lots of labour and time, it weighs something like 350 Tlbs.
Or you get one that's airworthy. That means engines, checks and all the other stuff.
Both options will end up costing you lots and lots of money.

BTW, I saw a Tristar on eBay about a year ago. No engines though. Asking price was $100 000.

RatherBeFlying
24th Jun 2003, 09:55
It may be cheaper to move to the a/c than to move the a/c to you.

If there's an airport with a surplus a/c where you can buy adjacent land AND the ground can take the weight when the a/c's being towed, you might have a cheap way through.

Don't plan on moving the a/c in the spring;)

luoto
24th Jun 2003, 14:44
Sob Sob Sob...

Must hope for some balls to land in the right order I think. I would be killed by her indoors if I suggest moving AGAIN. Third time last year in as many years.

Converting a Cessna two seater is not going to have such an effect.

Thanks..

XL5
1st Jul 2003, 07:56
luoto,

There's an article about B727, DC-8 etc airframes being used as living accommodations in the current (July/August 2003) issue of Airliners magazine. The people choosing to live this way seem mostly harmless and are reported to have paid up to US $100k for their piece of aviation scrap/history. Good hunting.

luoto
2nd Jul 2003, 00:09
Thanks. could not find this locally but am on a trip to London next week so will see if they have it there. Appreciate your thought!

rentaghost
2nd Jul 2003, 00:57
luoto - a thought for you...

If the 742's that are about to be scrapped are impounded by the Airport that they are currently parked at, and the actual owners are not intrerested in paying the Airport Authority monies owed to release them, they will eventually become the property of the Airport where they are parked. Given past experience, Airports dont want old wrecks laying about, and may even make you an offer to dispose of it (the wreck) for them. Therefore I suggest a letter to the Airport Authority where they are parked.

I do know of a HS125 that was sold for GBP1.00 about 8 years ago as the owner had run up huge debts, so the Airport took possession, and sold it.

luoto
2nd Jul 2003, 01:01
Ah, thanks. I will scribble a letter to the managing director and see what develops! Hmm, exactly who would be the owner of the airport though? I will do some searching on the Internet as I guess if it goes to the wrong person they will bin it under "crank mail" )