PDA

View Full Version : Australian to JAA conversion

daniel25
15th Jun 2003, 22:33
Hi Everyone,

I'm a low hours (500) pilot with an Australian CPL / IR (ME), Instructor Rating & ATPL Credits, living in Perth, Aus.

I've got an EU (German) Passport and would love to work as a pilot in Europe (would prefer the UK or Germany)

Any suggestions as to what I need to do with conversions/training, where I can do this and where might be the best place to look for work?

Daniel

redsnail
16th Jun 2003, 04:30
What language are you fluent in? The JAR exams aren't a picnic if you aren't fluent in that language.
Please do a search using my name because I have posted at length in the former "Wanabes" and "Dununda & Godzone" forums.
With only 500 hours, no turbine, no multi crew, no airline experience you'll be pushing ****e up hill to get a good start. It won't be good for low houred guys for at least a year or so yet. (With exceptions of course).
Search also the CAA's website and look up LASORS for all the official gen you'll need.
It ain't cheap and it ain't quick.

Fogbound
16th Jun 2003, 17:35
As a low hours pilot you must pass all 14 of the JAA ATPL groundschool examinations.

The following is an extract from the CAA publication LASORS giving details of the conversion requirements.

CPL
The holder of a current and valid CPL(A) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 by a non-JAA state may be issued with a JAR-FCL CPL(A) providing the experience requirements of JAR-FCL 1.55(b) & (C) have been met. Applicants must:

· Hold a valid JAR-FCL Class 1 medical certificate.
· Undertake CPL(A) theoretical knowledge instruction as determined by the Head of Training of an approved training provider and pass ALL of the JAR-FCL theoretical knowledge examinations at CPL(A) level. Applicants who wish to attempt examinations at a higher level (ie ATPL(A) level) must undertake the full 650 hour course of approved theoretical knowledge instruction and pass ALL of the JAR-FCL theoretical knowledge examinations at ATPL(A) level.
· Undertake flying training as determined by the Head of Training of a FTO approved to conduct CPL(A) modular flying training courses, sufficient to obtain the pre-entry Form 170A (to include 5 hours on a complex aeroplane type if this requirement has not been previously satisfied) and pass the CPL(A) skill test (in accordance with Appendices 1 & 2 to JAR-FCL 1.170) with a CAA Flight Examiner.
· Qualify for the Issue of a UK Flight Radio Telephony Operators Licence (FRTOL)

IR
The holder of a current and valid Instrument Rating Aeroplane (IR(A)) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 by a non-JAA State may be issued with a JAR-FCL IR(A) providing the experience requirements as detailed in Section E1.2 have been met. Applicants must complete the following:

· Undertake IR theoretical knowledge instruction as determined by the Head of Training of an approved training provider.
· Pass all JAR-FCL theoretical knowledge examinations at IR level. Applicants who have passed JAR-FCL theoretical knowledge examinations at ATPL(A) level are exempted from this requirement.
· Complete a minimum of 15 hour instrument flying instruction (of which 5 hours may be in a FNPT 1 or 10 hours in a FNPT 2 or flight simulator.
· Complete any additional IR training considered necessary by the FTO
· Pass the 170A flight test
· Pass the IR(A) skill test (in accordance with Appendices 1 &2 to JAR-FCL 1.210) with a CAA Flight Examiner

cjp
10th Jul 2003, 06:05
looks like a bloody mess, if you ask me...

I'm an Aussie, living in Germany, (UK passport) and considering an Oz CPL. Currently got a South African PPL, which I can't fly on here, for various reasons. Interested in how you'll get on, for obvious reasons. However, the JAA CPL is a rather expensive track... I, for one, am currently working out of aviation, and considering non-JAA options with an end in the ICAO to JAA conversion...

I've just started looking, perhaps I may be so brazen to suggest that we combine forces towards mutual aims?

do post here,

soon,

cjp

dorosenco
11th Jul 2003, 02:52
Fogbound,

Redsnail is right ! What language are you fluent in ? I'm a french national learned to fly in the US. Been flying for 2 years and working on my JAA conversion. I got some JAA Distance Learning notes in french and I couldn't even understand the question !!! I just don't have the vocabulary in french. So, I turned to the UK and found myself much more confortable.

No ****ing way around it,
- Learn for the 14 examns, pass them.
- Take your CPL flight test (UK,US or others).
- Take your IR/ME flight test (UK only!)
- Get your MCC

And after all that come back on PPrune to complain about lack of jobs... World sucks... (just kidding !!!)

;) :D

Fogbound
11th Jul 2003, 19:09
I do not deny that Redsnail is right. The JAA exams are no picnic. English first language and I still found them hard work to decode the question in some cases.

Things have improved since I sat my exams and there are better checking procedures in place with the CAA. the papers "should" be scrutinised prior to being issued so that all the questions "should" be fair. Some still get through but the CAA have now got a system by which CGIs can ensure that if a student feels a question in his exam was unfair then he can report it and the CAA addresses the matter.

Distance Learning is a very hard route to take, but for some it is the only option. I would always recommend a full-time course if at all possible.

Either way rules is rules. I see a large number of conversions come through and an even larger number of enquiries from a variety of backgrounds. Just be thankful that the new ruling means you do not have to complete the full 50/55 hour IR course , only the 15 hour!

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck
:ok: