PDA

View Full Version : FAA Twin rating

Backontrack
15th Jun 2003, 19:51
Can anyone clarify the following point for me, i have tried twice to ask the CAA but no straight answers have been received as yet.

I am looking to <<edit: fly in California>> for hour building later this summer. Whilst there I am thinking of doing both my night and Twin ratings; the school is JAR recognised for their night and IMC but where does this leave me with an FAA twin rating?

Do I have to re-validate it back in the UK? or does it gain automatic recognition?

Where can I clarify this for sure?

<<edit to de-identify>>

RPM Cutback
16th Jun 2003, 03:23
<<edited: RPM? 1st posting?? Seemed to be a well construed advertisement>>

If it wasn't - apologies - but its removal does not damage the thread in any way. Leave it there.

Backontrack
16th Jun 2003, 18:32
Ok then, this was in no way intended to be an advertisement??

I've seen many other posts mention the specific flight school so what is the problem?

Has anyone actually got the answer to the point raised?

Keygrip
16th Jun 2003, 19:12
"PM" on its way to you, shortly.

However, if you have an FAA multi engine rating and your log book shows "remarks" of a minimum of 3½ hours flight training on single engine operations, and at least 2½ hours of multi engine operation, you can then go to any JAA multi-engine approved FTO (Flight Training Organisation) or RF (Registered Facility) and do a conversion.

The conversion is in two parts - a written examination based on the aircraft type - and a flight test with a JAA Examiner.

There was a question raised recently - saying that to do this conversion you must have 100 hours on twins (I'd not heard it before). Check that with the CAA before you spend the money at an FAA school.

dorosenco
27th Jun 2003, 07:56
the good thing about an FAA multi is that is valid for life, JAA requires a class retest every 12 months. What an airline will be looking for is the number of ME time, not if it was done under a JAA or an FAA license. I suppose that in the future you might want to come back to the US and fly some more Multi because is cheaper.
Also, do not say "JAR recognised" for Night and IMC. Night and IMC is not a "JAR qualification", it's a National UK qualification valid in the UK ONLY.