PDA

View Full Version : airfield needed

scubawasp
14th Jun 2003, 19:46
Is there anyone out there who knows of a licenced aerodrome, who is looking for/ or has space for a PPL(A) school with the idea of offering the CPL(A) course.

Everyone in the SE seems very against anyone intruding into their patch. Very disappointing. Don't know quite what they are scared of, as theiy're established and obviously offer second to none quality training.

Has anyone else come across this when trying to set up a school, or did you move abroad?

Does anyone know of a drome that is trying or wants to become a licenced field?

Can anyone help?

The aviation industry does appear to be very against trying to run General aviation training as a buisness, offering opportunity to only those with large amounts of cash. Surely we need to be more forward thinking in this Country to encourage people to fly at as reasonble cost as the CAA, and maintainance facilities allow?

Or does it all mean, that they only way to go is abroad?

There must be a field somewhere, or at least one that would benifit with a new lease of blood into their area.

Thank you all for your time, and a hope there's a ppruner out there who can help. If your trying yourselfs, then please contact me.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Jun 2003, 20:26
Two suggestions.

One is look "outside the middle of the country". Most such schools are down the middle of England or in the Edinburgh-Glasgow belt. People don't mind travelling for a CPL course in the way they won't for a PPL course, so why not try relatively distant spots such as (and I've no idea what goes on at these) Lands End, Lydd, Carlisle, Haverfordwest.

Second suggestion, the rules require a licensed OR GOVERNMENT aerodrome. The services have various little used airfields that probably cost them a fortune to run and they might not mind a paying tennant. Mona, Preddannack, West Freugh or Abingdon all could potentially fall into that sort of category.

Alternatively how about Bembridge? - a licensed aerodrome operated by Britten-Norman for flight test purposes, but with little other resident traffic. They might appreciate a lodger, particularly one who might guarantee routine maintenance work and might even be able to do you a deal on twin use.

G

scubawasp
16th Jun 2003, 01:15
Thanks to all who have responded.

Should have put a post on this weeks ago!

grow45
16th Jun 2003, 06:49
Genghis mentioned West Freugh as a possibility for a CPL school. Sadly the Freugh is now closed and on a care and maintenance only basis. However it was a significant local employer and the local council (Dumfries and Galloway Council) were actively looking at ways of keeping it open in some form or another and something like this may be of interest. It might be worth getting in touch with them.

I'm all in favour of it reopening as it would make visiting the mother in law more fun as I could fly there but dont let that affect your decision. :D

grow45

Deancross12345
3rd Aug 2003, 20:06
Scubawasp

Check you PMs

Timothy
3rd Aug 2003, 23:19
scubawasp

I tell you something, you might think that the SE is saturated, but I reckon that there is still an opportunity down here.

Our au pair has been learning to fly (don't ask, it's a long story) and was being badly p1ssed around by LTFC at Fairoaks. Eventually the CFI there left, with no sign of an imminent replacement, so I suggested some other places he could try (Fairoaks, Redhill and Biggin are the three places in sensible range.)

Fairoaks Flight Centre really don't want to know about customers and are very expensive. Redhill failed to turn up for the appointment he made, and "couldn't care less". And all the schools at Biggin were too busy to take his money (he wanted to do 22 hours in three weeks, at about six weeks notice, and they were all full.)

I have heard better reports about schools to the North of London (Stapleford, for example) and I believe that WW is a good club, but Surrey seems to be a disaster.

Going to Genghis' point, I wonder how BAe would feel about a school at Dunsfold. It is in great nick and right in the middle of the richest part of the country...maybe worth a go.

The other place that is crying out to be reopened to the GA world is Woodford. Again BAe, and surely they could be persuaded that if an entrance was made directly into the GA area from the road security wouldn't be a real issue. You could make more money out of GA handling than out of the school, as Manchester is crying out for a "real" GA facility (Barton being a bit of a joke.)

In the meantime, the au pair has taken his £4000 and gone to the Czech Republic for three weeks, where they are dellighted to take it to train him on a brand new, airways equipped PA28.

W

davealvers
4th Aug 2003, 04:18
WCollins[B]

I would have to agree massively with the above post - The Manchester area is crying out for a proper GA airfield. Barton is nice - but perhaps TOO grass roots. Always waterlogged in winter with restricted availability due to no runway/taxiway lights. There is also little scope for advanced training such as night flying and especially commercial (though I do believe a FI(R) course is imminent). Commercial training for people around Manch means a trek to Blackpool or Leeds at the closest. I have no personal motive in encouraging you to set up here!!:O

Charlie32
4th Aug 2003, 17:54
Consider approaching Eshott just North of Morpeth in Northumberland. Presently unlicensed, mainly used by micro-lights.

There would need to be a small enhancement to the infrastructure to get licenced, but there are several potential advantages to the location.
1) Access to nearby EGNT for VOR/ILS/NDB procedures
2) No nearby large built up areas
3) Newcastle Flying School might well be interested in moving in a joint venture, as they are under serious pressure from the management at EGNT, particularly over circuit training
4) No other school between Edinburgh and Teeside.

Grob Driver
4th Aug 2003, 20:41
How about a nice new flight school at the Finningly airport. I think they start flying from there next year so maybe it’s an option? Good access with link roads direct of the motorway and A1.

Deancross12345
5th Aug 2003, 04:14
What about using Carlisle Airport; fully licenced, long runway and under redevelopment.

New runway immimnent, ILS, etc would be an ideal location for a new Commercial Flying School without any costs to upgrade.

Close to Newcastle and Teesside for additional training etc but without the hassels / restrictions of operating within controlled airspace.

Say again s l o w l y
5th Aug 2003, 06:37
I know of one airfield in the S.E with a succesful school and maintenance that is up for sale, it's a leasehold, but not a bad one. PM if you want details.