PDA

View Full Version : 'Controllers on the Job' @ LEMG

BigRab
14th Jun 2003, 02:11
From the ATIS at Malaga "Controllers on the Job", one would hope so, but what 'job' were they refering to?

Cuddles
14th Jun 2003, 02:22
The obvious prurient answer aside, it probably means that controllers are undergoing on the job training, ie they're only learning, so be gentle with them.

Expect he possibility of getting a really silly instruction, followed immediately by a rather more sensible one in a different voice.

BOAC
14th Jun 2003, 06:46
It has been happening at LEMD for a while now - and no-one has seen any difference:O

PakoSpain
15th Jun 2003, 13:27
I checked Malaga ATIS today and the "talking machine" says exactly "Controllers on the job training monitored" as it has to be.
In fact we've been training newcomers all year long but it's in the high season when this task becomes harder as traffic increases. Staff implemented at good rate but by the end of 2003 few experienced Controllers (including myself) will retire and some others will do the same next year. Be patient during OJT period and give new ATCO's a chance to manage the bunch of planes.
It´s been a pleasure serving you during the last 30 years.
Regards
Pako

Fast Erect
16th Jun 2003, 03:57
Pako,
It has been my pleasure to fly into LEMG for 4 years now, and not a single complaint have I! (and that can't be said for many Spanish airfields!)
Happy retirement old chap...save us some sangria.;)

BigRab
18th Jun 2003, 21:16
The ATIS brought a smile to us, and the ATC service was good, as is usually the case now in Spain.
Cleared direct to BAMAR (IAF), closing vector for localiser, cleared the ILS. Nice and simple, wish it were possible for UK controllers to do the same.
On the subject of foreign ATC, credit also to Greek and Italian controllers, where it was the norm to be cleared by a number of waypoints and airways, now we are more often ‘cleared flight plan route’; many thanks, please tell your colleagues.

Bombay Bad Boy
22nd Jun 2003, 07:39
Big Rab....

I was going to respond to your last comment about a good simple ATC service in Spain and your wish that UK controllers could provide the same!

THEN.... I looked at my watch realised it was half past midnight and thought what am I doing writing waffle about Honiley, straight in approaches, Brum/Cov/East Mids/Latcc/Manch and all the other complexities!

In answer to your wish....... YEP, I wish too !!

BBB