PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Air Services Australia?

Madiba
13th Jun 2003, 21:43
Hello!

Any Aussies out there that can tell me more about ASA? Do you need controllers? If yes, where? Happy with the company?
I grew up in South Africa, learnt the trade in here in Germany and I am looking to leave for greener pastures with friendlier people....

I visited Autralia in 2000 and loved it and I will be travelling there again in October and that might be a good opportunity to maybe have an interview or just meet some contacts.....:D

Hoping to hear from you!

Thanks and regards,

Madiba

flyingbear
16th Jun 2003, 07:02
Yes. Airservices does need staff but the Managament disagree. Latest rumours are they want to get rid of anywhere from 150 - 200 controllers in the next 6-12 months. Working conditions are generally good depending where you are located. For more information on recruiting see www.airservicesaustralia.com

willadvise
16th Jun 2003, 10:18
Airservices will only employ people with Australian Citizenship or permanent residency status (http://www.immi.gov.au/faq/permanent/index.htm) . Aireservices will not sponsor you to immigrate.

WA

Spodman
16th Jun 2003, 10:59
Umm, probably need to do a course also.

tusitala
18th Jun 2003, 17:45
Air Services Australia, will only employ people with permanent residency status. Pror training does not guarantee a place, and also you have to retrain, but they will look into possible fast tracking.

Baileys
22nd Jun 2003, 08:45
And you start off at the very bottom of the payscale regardless of experience.

Four Seven Eleven
22nd Jun 2003, 09:03
And you start off at the very bottom of the payscale regardless of experience. Not necessarily the case (but a very realistic point of view). They will offer the bottom of the payscale in the first instance, but you may be able to 'negotiate' for more. In reality, you would not be in a strong bargaining position and would probably have to take it or leave it.
Pror training does not guarantee a place, and also you have to retrain, but they will look into possible fast tracking. Unfortunately, the only 'fast tracking' being done at the moment is for former RAAF controllers. ASA would only design a fast track course for foreign controllers if there was a large number all joining at once. You would probably have to do the full course (nearly a year).

Experience in Eurocat systems would be an advantage.

Expect long delays between your application and actually starting. (Anywhere up to two years in some cases.)

Happy with the company? Generally, yes. We probably all have complaints about some things , but overall it is not bad. Every few years when we have to negotiate our certified agreement, things get a bit tense, but it is usually OK.

Good luck

Madiba
25th Jun 2003, 02:14
Hi again!

First of all thank you all very much for replying to my enquiry!!:D
Certainly gave me a good idea of what to expect..... and that is the downside of course....:ugh: Seems pretty difficult and very risky to actually get into ASA.....
WeŽll see, maybe something else pops up!

Thanks again!

Cheerio,
Madiba