PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating Before CPL Skills Test?

jmp1n
13th Jun 2003, 18:10
Is there anyone out there who can tell me if you are able to do your CPL skills test, then get your night rating afterwards, but before licence application?

I have spoken with several schools, some saying I can do this some saying I cant. Is there anyone out there that has done the CPL before Night Rating?

My original plan was to do the CPL then go to the US for a night rating, and hour building before I apply for the CPL.

I have checked on the CAA web site, but it still unclear to me.

Cheers.

gus_honeybun
13th Jun 2003, 18:34
My understanding of the regs are that you don't need a night training until you actually apply for the CPL licence. As an aside, you also don't need to have done the cross country, 100 hrs PIC, 200 hrs TT until you actually apply for the licence.
The only requirement to start a CPL course is 150 hrs (and a PPL) and the only requirement to sit a skills test is evidence of attending an approved course and a 170a.

However, I would get on the phone to licencing at the CAA and get them to confirm this as it is possible that my derriere has developed the power of speech.

Megaton
13th Jun 2003, 18:37
From Lasors:

An applicant who does not already hold a Night Qualification/Rating (Aeroplane) shall be given additionally at least 5 hours night flight instruction.

Before undertaking the Skill Test, the applicant shall have passed the associated theoretical knowledge examination, and completed all of the related flying training

So, it looks like that if you turn up at a school for a CPL without a night rating, the FTO should give you 5 hrs of night flight instruction before letting you loose on the Skill Test.

Is there some particular reason for wanting to defer the night flying until after the CPL training?

VFE
13th Jun 2003, 19:02
I have an FAA PPL which includes a night rating (must admit I never used it much as not many of the aircraft at the place I was at had panel lights!) and am due to convert my FAA PPL to a JAR PPL immediately prior to commencing my JAR CPL/IR.

My question is: do I get to do 5 hours night as well? I enjoy night flying y'see.

VFE.

benhurr
13th Jun 2003, 19:26
VFE

Note that it is an additional 5 hours of training.

Depending on when you want to start your CPL/IR training I would suggest getting your night rating prior to starting the course, simply because you might well find it a lot cheaper at a smaller school for 5 hours in a C152. And wait until the clocks change - I doubt many instructors wait around for official night at this time of year!

Ben

jmp1n
13th Jun 2003, 19:36
I have just been on the phone to the CAA. They are quite happy if I do the CPL skills test, then the night rating before licence application.

However, it is up to each individual school and, if they allow this. I guess each school translates the rules and regs in different way.

Ham Phisted
The reason I do not want to do a NR now is partly because of the time of year, and I want do this along with some hour building in the US.

Thanks for your comments.

Megaton
13th Jun 2003, 20:22
Makes perfect sense now. Good luck with the CPL.

GASH !
14th Jun 2003, 02:06
Yes, as has been stated above, you only need the night rating for licence issue. Watch out for schools telling you you need to do a 55 hour IR course if you haven't actually had the CPL issued, you don't. If you meet the requirements for CPL issue then you only have to do a 50 hour course. I mention this because money is often tight, I had 2 well known schools insisting that I had to do a 55 hour IR if I went there, which of course, I didn't.

mad_jock
14th Jun 2003, 07:43
Because I did my IR first i had to find out about this and it does matter which order you do things in.

Before issue of CPL you need to have done only the training for night but not have it added to your license. (the same with the MEP trainng if your doing it in the twin)

Then as someone says if you hold a valid pass for CPL but not issued you only need to do the 50hr course for IR. If you did the CPL in a twin you don't need a stand alone MEP skills test pass.

If you then go on to FI you only need the CPL requirements for FI.

But if you do the IR first you need the night actually issued on your PPL ( paying the fee) and do the 55hr course. But you have to have done the training for the MEP and hold a valid skills test pass (but not issued). This is in theory because the caafu never seemed to bothered if I had already passed the MEP skills test yet and I presume that GAtwick wouldn't let you book the test if you didn't comply with the night rating stuff.

CPL you then get for the reduced course length 15hrs I think.

And again you get the reduced PIC time for the FI.

Then you send the whole lot off at once you only get stung for CPL/IR MEP issue and adding the FI rating. And your MEP pass is taken from your CPL skills test not the original skills test date if done in a twin.

MJ

cfb
15th Jun 2003, 18:01
Just to be correct, I don't believe that a "Night Rating" actually exists. We need to talking about a "Night Qualification"