PDA

View Full Version : Headsets - help the newbie!

Irishwingz
13th Jun 2003, 04:45
Hi there

I'm about to jet off to SA to learn to fly. Right now I'm looking at buying a headset, it seems I can make the best saving on a US website as the euro is very strong.

so I dont waste my money.......a couple of q's:

- is the DC 13.4 a good long lasting reliable headset? PLEASE I do not want to start a headset war!:p Just the facts :ok:

- are all connections on these headsets standard? i.e will it fit a Cessna in SA, a Rallye in Ireland or an F22 Raptor in Nevada:}

Thanks a million

Wingz

Evo
13th Jun 2003, 05:17
My 13.4s have been dropped, kicked, shut in the canopy, baked in the sun (but :mad: :{ when you put them on afterwards) and generally abused, and they've been bombproof so far. I think they are great, and would definitely recommend them :ok:. A search here should find several threads, and IIRC most people think the same - but some disagree too. DC10-40s are great too. I think they're no longer made, but they're a good second hand buy (if anybody is selling....)

DCs have a reputation for being incompatible with other headsets, but i've never seen it myself. Again, a search will find more.

maggioneato
13th Jun 2003, 05:24
I have had my DC 13.4 headset for 8 years, and I think it's the poodles privates, still as good as when it was bought. Also have a 13.4 spare for my victims. Have used it in all your usual spam cans, and the odd twin, have had no problem with compatability, even with other makes. Have fun in SA.

Cusco
13th Jun 2003, 05:57
Yep!

I echo those sentiments: I've had 2 sets of 13.4s for 8 years and they're fantastic. (But dump the foam seals for Gel seals)

To be honest I haven't had incompatibility probs with other sets (my back seat tatty set is Flightcom and this works)

But then everybody has DCs anyway don't they.

And: don't get an ANR set to learn with: you need to train your ears to all the nuances of changing engine sounds before you shut 'em out for ever.
Most of all enjoy your training.Safe flying

Cusco

Secret Squire
13th Jun 2003, 06:25
Most people I know fly with 13.4s, I've had a set for a while and they are good, and my instructor has a pair that look about 20 years old and still going! Seem to be the way forwards!

Secret

Flyin'Dutch'
13th Jun 2003, 13:57
Well most peeps have DCs because they are nice, comfortable and very rugged.

Look on ebay and you can buy a good set often a lot less dosh than a new one.

I recently picked up an ANR DC13-10 for only £250 and when I received it, it was boxed and as new, working fine.

Cusco, I respectfully disagree with your comments about the ANR bit. It does not cancel out odd noises just the boring and straining ones!

However the noisereduction of the passive is so good that you can wait spending the money on the more expensive ANRs until you start doing longer trips. You can then relegate the passive ones to the backseat drivers.

FD

BEagle
13th Jun 2003, 14:41
DC 13.4 - can't speak too highly of this headset. Mine has given excellent service and has so far proved 100+% reliable!

With the 2 plugs it'll fit most normal GA aircraft; but not a F-22. It is possible to use a twin plug to NATO adapter if you fly something with a NATO socket, but that's fairly unlikely for a newbie!

Monocock
13th Jun 2003, 21:40
Hmm, funny things headsets.

David Clarke are to headsets what Ray Ban are to shades.....

or Nike are to training shoes...........

or Levi's are to jeans.............. .

They have all been around a long time and have excellent marketing and advertising strategies but that does not necessarily make them the best.

I will not deny though that they are good.

I do own a set of DC's and wear them three of four times a week. I don't find them particularly comfortable and the cans seem so wide they hit the window when the going gets bumpy.

IMHO, I cannot recommend them as highly as the Flightcom's I used to have. Not sure if they still make them (is it Avcomm now?)

All Im saying is that you can save £100 by not paying for the name. That £100 could go towards an SA to GB conversion course for your RT so we can all understand you when you come back to fly at home!;) ;) ;)

Edited to say that I have just found the Flightcom website. They do still make the model I used to have. Its the BlackHawk model and it is far superior to the DC, and only £150.

Tinstaafl
13th Jun 2003, 22:09
My DC H10-40s are still going strong after 20+ years. Admittedly they were refurbished 10 years ago at the DC factory. Only cost US$70. Well worth it for upgrading the older parts to the newer, better items eg gel ear pads, better head pad etc

topcat450
13th Jun 2003, 22:55
I own 13.4 and 10-40s. I grab to 13.4s for myself and my pax gets to wear the others.....but I I think they're the mutts nuts

MLS-12D
13th Jun 2003, 23:50
1) is the DC 13.4 a good long lasting reliable headset?

2) Are all connections on these headsets standard? i.e will it fit a Cessna in SA, a Rallye in Ireland or an F22 Raptor in Nevada?To answer your specific questions:

1) Yes (I own two, no problems with either).

2) Essentially yes. The 13.4 is fitted with GA plugs that should work in all civil airplanes. David Clark manufacturers and sells adapters for other uses (e.g., helicopters); see further here (http://www.davidclark.com/HeadsetPgs/plugadapters.html).

Whether DC is 'the best' headset brand is a subjective question, and as Irishwingz didn't ask it, I won't venture an opinion.

Flyin'Dutch'
13th Jun 2003, 23:51
Monocock,

I dont think that DC are marketing particularly heavy, other than word of mouth.

Can you explain why you are still using the inferior DCs rather than flogging them and getting some AvComms and have a few beers from the change that is left over?

No axe to grind but just curious how the various statements in your posting seem contradictory.

FD

MLS-12D
14th Jun 2003, 04:51
Flyin'Dutch', I agree, DC's marketing doesn't seem anything out of the ordinary. Certainly their website is awfully basic. Word of mouth seems to be the secret of their current success: everybody's instructor has a DC headset, so their students buy the same model, and then some of the students become instructors, and the process repeats itself.

Monocock, if you find DC's earcups to be too big, for goodness' sake stay away from Lightspeed headsets. I tried them on once, but they were like wearing moose antlers: huge!

TheKentishFledgling
14th Jun 2003, 05:25
I'd echo all the comments of others about Dave Clarke sets.

I got a pair of H10-80s cheaply on the web, and they're great.

I've flown with quite a lot of types of headset in my 60 hours of pax time, and DCs are the best.

As FD said, watch eBay (.com also...postage may be high, but worth it overall) and also www.thehangar.co.uk

tKF

In Altissimus
15th Jun 2003, 05:08
Just to balance things a bit... I'm VERY happy with my AvComms - and it's great to have the PTT button on the side when you are 'sharing' the flying.

When choosing, I schlepped down to a certain shop in Victoria, where you can try them all out. I did notice that some were much more comfortable with glasses than others - something you _may_ want to bear in mind
:8

Irishwingz
15th Jun 2003, 22:39
Thanks to all your replies, I ordered them on the web on Friday, at $292 this worked out at €250 which is great value. Thats £177 in your money.....

Later dudes:ok:

Coke611
16th Jun 2003, 02:19
I am about to get a Pooleys set to learn in (as soon as i get my medical booked in!). I have heard alot of good stuff about DC's, but at around £250 that is wayyyyyyy above my budget! £100 for a pooleys seems a little easier on the wallet!

Have fun in SA!

Cheers

Coke611

Irishwingz
16th Jun 2003, 03:29
Coke - thanks and good luck yourself! But you can get the DCs as i said for £177 on sportys.com

Why not just push the budget out a bit and look like the real thing!!;)