PDA

View Full Version : Detachable wings!

G - HIGH
13th Jun 2003, 00:00
I'm looking to buy an light aircraft in the next 2 months for around the £15k mark (or less!). However, what I'm looking for must have detachable wings! -- x --

I've done a little research but trying to find names of a/c with this feature isn't easy. I'd appreciate anyone being able to throw some a/c makes / names my way!

Alternatively, if anyones selling something like this, then send me a mail...

Many thanks in advance
G - HIGH

FlyingForFun
13th Jun 2003, 00:04
The Europa springs immediately to mind... although that's probably because I've got a share in one.

Attaching/removing the wings is really a 2-person job with the standard equipment, but plenty of people have built enough "props" to enable it to be done by 1 person. It takes a few minutes. (The meaning of "a few" varies depending how often you get to practice it! It takes my group around 10 minutes, but we only do it a couple of times a year... it can be done far quicker with practice.)

There are plenty of others out there, too - I suspect most of them will be home-builts.

FFF
-------------

topcat450
13th Jun 2003, 00:33
Pulsars have detachable wings...

As do CFM Shadows ...

Possibly Kitfox - not sure though on that one?

poetpilot
13th Jun 2003, 00:56
There's a high wing Rans at Barton which is stored with its wings folded. Two man operation to do it (I've helped on occasion).

'Course if you want a vintage machine, there were quite a few... shame that (given hangarage availability & charges) the tradition hasn't been widely carried on.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Jun 2003, 01:03
Most aircraft are de-riggable, it's just a question of how much work.

For easily deriggable, I'd suggest you want something with a motorglider or microlight variant (or a motorglider or a microlight).

G

bingoboy
13th Jun 2003, 01:44
G-HIGH, I have what you need and it is for sale. I think I have emailed you (via pprune). Cheers

LowNSlow
13th Jun 2003, 12:10
bingoboy do you want to spread the word a bit. I've had my hangerage charges increased by 100 quid a month and a towable, wing folding aeroplane would suit me just fine right now, especially if you'd take an Auster in part ex!

topcat450
13th Jun 2003, 16:28
and I maybe looking for a decent Auster ...

LowNSlow
13th Jun 2003, 18:49
topcat450 just how far North of Watford are you?

topcat450
13th Jun 2003, 19:21
about 100 miles

Lemoncake
13th Jun 2003, 21:33
The Ballerit microlight (flea plane) can be rigged in 3 or 4 minutes....one man operation The wings don't come off though. They fold upwards. Will fit an a large garage without any difficulty.

Cheers