12th Jun 2003, 14:23
I have my initial VB 'info and assessment' gathering in Adelaide on the 25th and I was just after some inside info from the experienced - this may be the wrong forum area, but I'll give it a go!
I cant find any info on the net about the type of testing they do for this position...aptitude etc. Can anyone help me there or give me some general feedback about what happens on the day.
Cheers for your time.
12th Jun 2003, 17:21
Hey Paul (and others),
Was going to PM you, but others around here might find the info useful also.
Did my Pit Crew Assessment just the other day in Sydney. It is a group thing, and consists of a few parts:
(1) On arrival, given a name tag and paperwork to fill out. All standard stuff, includes a 50 word written passage on "Why you want to work as Pit Crew for Virgin."
(2) Entire group (30 odd) was divided up into roughly 6 tables of 5 people each - it was just sit where you liked, they didn't choose the tables for you. A briefing was given by the HR representative explaining what the Pit Crew job entails and what the day's selection process is all about.
(3) Each table was allocated a recruitment person and each person had to introduce themselves to the table - age, current job, why you want to work for virgin and favourite holiday location! The recruiter was taking notes on your resume whilst you spoke and asking the odd question as well.
(4) Group activity, involving a card tower building exercise which takes 10 mins. The usual stuff, they're just assessing how you work in a team environment. The recruiter takes no part, just sits back and observes, moving around the table.
(5) Another group activity, involving a business plan type scenario. This one required a little more thinking, but it isn't rocket science - just brainstorming ideas for about 10 mins before a quick 2 min presentation/discussion with the recruiter. Once again they are sitting back and observing the discussion for the whole period.
(6) Final summary, also a few more details about the job, like hours, pay etc etc. Also explain the rest of the selection process and when you will hear from them.
Was my first group interview and enjoyed the experience - nothing too hard about it, after all, chucking bags isn't the most mentally demanding job going round! They're looking for team players who can also show initiative and have a laugh and a good time - after all, that is what VB is all about!
Any questions, send me a PM.
12th Jun 2003, 20:22
Its people like you that make this forum such a great resource.
Cheers for that detailed/helpful response to my query.
All the best mate and I hope to run into you in the red overalls.