PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair to expand from Luton!

Buster the Bear
12th Jun 2003, 04:02
TBI wants Luton to match Heathrow
By Michael Harrison, Business Editor The Independant
11 June 2003

Buster told you of this story, which is no longer a rumour. If it proves to be incorrect, do not blame me, blame the boss man at TBI!!!!!

TBI, the owner of London Luton, is to put proposals to the Government calling for an increase in the airport's capacity to 60 million passengers over the next 30 years.

This would make Luton the same size that Heathrow is at present and would require the construction of a second runway and a new passenger terminal.

However, TBI believes the ambitious expansion programme is justified by the rapid growth of low-cost air travel and Luton's role as an important hub for no-frills carriers.

Both Ryanair and easyJet operate from Luton and the Irish carrier is shortly expected to announce an increase in flights from Luton. Ryanair is also set to launch services from TBI's Belfast International airport to several Continental destinations.

Luton handled 6.6 million passengers last year and is forecast to handle 9 to 10 million a year within the next two to three years. The Government's recent consultation document on runway capacity in the South-east said there was the potential for 31 million passengers at Luton but ruled it out as a potential site for a further runway in favour of the three BAA airports Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted.

But Keith Brooks, TBI's chief executive, said: "All the traffic growth should not go to the monopoly operator BAA. Luton has good infrastructure, a local community which is supportive of increased capacity and it is a recognised low-cost airport whereas we are seeing the demise of full-service airlines in the UK."

This year full-service airlines will only account for 16 per cent of TBI's passengers, compared with 31 per cent two years ago. Low-cost carriers, by contrast, will account for 63 per cent of passengers compared with 39 per cent in 2001.

TBI's pre-tax profits plunged 38 per cent last year to £10.2m because of the change in its airline customer base. Low-cost carriers pay only half the landing charges of the full-service airlines they have replaced. However, Mr Brooks said he expected to see revenues rise in line with traffic this year.

fusible plug
17th Jun 2003, 04:29
Well I for one hope they do!!! This rumour has been doing the rounds for years, and this announcement hasn't been very forthcoming. Fingers crossed though.

Buster the Bear
17th Jun 2003, 05:52
Now if I was a TBI shareholder, the recent loss revealed by easy, thier questionable sale price for Go and thier love of Airbus would make me look in other directions especially as easy is the largest operator at Luton and TBI are also exposed at Belfast.

Add to this remarks by easy relating to future growth from Gatwick and not Luton, would make me, assuming I am a share holder, want to reduce my risk.

Now, baby and Ryanair would be on my target hit list amongst others.