PDA

View Full Version : Strong n gusty: wot to do?

covec
11th Jun 2003, 22:15
Re C152/172/PA28s: just what is the best way to handle:

1. The T/O & Climb

2. The Approach & Landing

...in strong, gusting crosswinds blowing from over high ground and arriving at an airfield with significant obstructions near to the runway eg forests/hangars etc.

Do you limit flap? Add 5kts or even more? "Work" the T/O, Climb, Approach & Landing ie anticipating as much as possible each attempted wing lift/drop & sink/lift situation?

I get caught in quite a lot of MW with VS of up to 600fpm. In a C152 I have (so far!) got away with selecting a Vx climb and, occasionally, depending upon how the Vx ROC is doing, turning 45 degrees downwind (orientated to the high ground). Is this correct?

Safe flying, folks.

FormationFlyer
14th Jun 2003, 07:50
Ok..Noone else has answered so Ill take the plunge and risk the wrath!!! ;)

As for TO/CLimb - I always use Vy (~65kts in cessna, 75kt Pa28)myself - Vx in gusty conditions is not sensible due to windshear and the possiblity of the stall in the climb - although the C152 is pretty good. Obviously is obstacles dictate otherwise....

App/Landing - gusty Crosswinds (>10Kt) I limit flap to give more aileron authority. Otherwise I will fly +5kts if the gust factor is 10kt or more...if the gust factor is 30kt then I shouldnt be airbourne anyway.....

I never attempt to 'anticipate' an unforseeable airflow - that can lead to overcontrolling ....instead I react..however - I find that 'rolling with the bumps' works fairly well - and only needs corrections in the more extreme drops - but I am always concious to avoid 'fighting the aircraft'.

MW is another issue altogether - The general advice is fly 45deg towards high ground to minimise turnaround should it all get nasty on the sink front....So if you get caught I dont think a 45deg turn is unreasonable - provided the reasons are clearly presented to students.

Hope this helps,
FF

poteroo
14th Jun 2003, 08:41
Have a look at the approach speeds thread. A lot of it is relevant to this question.
cheers,