PDA

View Full Version : Instruct in the US or UK?

UKflyer
11th Jun 2003, 21:08
Hi There,

I'm considering doing my CPL/IR in the US, but i don't know whether to return to the UK, or stay in the US to do the instructor ratings.....i know there are lots of different reasons to do either, but what would be the best option?..........any ideas?? :confused:

JB

raysalmon
16th Jun 2003, 13:49
JB,

If you're thinking of staying in the U.S. to instruct afterwards, be careful of immigration requirements. Generally, non-immigrants cannot work in the U.S. except under very limited circumstances. Becoming an immigrant is a very long, painstaking process unless you have close family that are U.S. citizens or there is a U.S. company that wants to hire you and can prove to the Dept. of Labor that there aren't any U.S. persons who could fill the position (read: takes a long time).

As for just doing the certificates and ratings, that's up to you entirely.

Ray

ravenx
17th Jun 2003, 23:46
actually I thought if you went over on the visa that gives you two years of study time you could work as an instructor because they consider that the be part of the hour building (i.e. learning) process

BritishGuy
28th Jun 2003, 19:43
Ok, What if you're a British Citizen, but have a Green Card and a Social Security Number and you have the "Employment Authorised" status?? I hope there's not problem in instructing out there if a flight school can offer you a job right?? Because that's exactly the situation I'm in. Got a flight school in Florida ready to take me on. So, I'm off there in August. I have a Green Card, so there shouldn't be any problem. RIGHT??

dorosenco
29th Jun 2003, 12:17
Ok BritishGuy,

Don't get all exited. Yeah, you're good to go, no need for extra paperwork...You'll get much more experience as an instructor in the US than UK. You could teach IR which will keep your skills sharp as well as commercial, private, MEP.
In the UK, with the stupid Restricted FI we can only do privates, out of the question IRs or MEPs.

Go !!!

:cool:

BritishGuy
29th Jun 2003, 23:43
Hey, c'mon, I can get a little excited can't I-I was just scared that you were going to say something bad and p*ss on my mini bonfire!! LOL

tampabay
1st Jul 2003, 03:49
Hope you dont mind my asking but how did you get your greencard? If it was through qualifications/employment please tell me how, im desperate to get a greencard to the US however i know flying wont be enough and the UK is not a green card lottery country:mad: so i may have to make a phone call to my American uncle i've never met:p before. seriously though, if any British people who have greencards or indeed American's could provide any info on the best way to get a greencard (other than family and marriage ) i would be VERY greatful

UKflyer
22nd Jul 2003, 18:43
tampabay,

Very difficult i'm afraid, unless you have an American relative (direct descendent) or you have step-family (which my step-mother is).

An alternative is to move to Northern Ireland which do accept applicants for the Lottery oddly enough!

"For DV-2004, natives of the following countries1 are not eligible to apply because they sent a total of more than 50,000 immigrants to the U.S. in the previous five years:

UNITED KINGDOM (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and VIETNAM. Persons born in Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are eligible"

Good luck

Cheers ,

Jamie Blethyn, UK
www.jbplanet.ionichost.com

red7alpha
27th Jul 2003, 17:50
HI UKFlyer,

I've just PM'd you, as it seems we're in a similar situation.

Regards,

R7A

redsnail
27th Jul 2003, 20:35
I *think* it depends on what country you were born in. (regarding the Green card lottery)