PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Cuba?

FREDAcheck
11th Jun 2003, 03:48
Anyone know if one can rent light a/c in Cuba?

A310driver
13th Jun 2003, 05:54
One way or return?

ratsarrse
20th Jun 2003, 05:52
It doesn't seem likely. Maybe you could look at hiring on one of the other islands and making your way to Cuba from there?

Sensible
20th Jun 2003, 07:17
FC I guess that you haven't been to Cuba b4. The politics there are oppressive to say the least. There are 10 1/2 mil. Cubans on the island and around 10 mil. want to leave so given that the USA is only 80 miles distant, Castro does have a serious problem and therefore keeps "means of escape" under tight control.

I made a previous post here but it seems it was removed unless I had finger trouble posting.

I have friends in Cuba and I have lived with the people for short periods.

If you want to know anything, PM me.

Myadvice is to keep away from all Cuban flying machines. There is a maintenance issue!

FREDAcheck
20th Jun 2003, 07:41
Thanks for all the comments - I suspected that private hire was a no-no. But one lives in hope.

BRL
20th Jun 2003, 07:52
Sensible I made a previous post here but it seems it was removed unless I had finger trouble posting.
I remember moving a post similar to this over to the caribean forum a long time ago, but I did leave it open in this forum. Maybe that was your post. Do a search of yourself and see if it was...

Sensible
20th Jun 2003, 16:29
Thanks BRL but my post was on this thread and a search failed to find it. It was a bit political and I guessed wrongly that it had been removed.

Castro pays his doctors $20 a MONTH!! Teachers $12 a MONTH and chamber maids around $8 a MONTH partly due to the trade embargo by our colonial cousins in the USA who are harming not Castro but the people incarcerated on the island of Cuba. Oh well, that's freedom and democracy American style!

Mister Gash
21st Jun 2003, 02:15
FREDAcheck,

Cuba is a fantastic tourist destination but - even if it weren't impossible - you DO NOT want to fly any of their aircraft. :} You'll see what we mean when you see those dilapidated Yaks and Antonovs dodging waves as they wobble along the coast at <20 feet. :eek:

ratsarrse
26th Jun 2003, 01:11
My parents were recently on holiday in Cuba (had a great time if you're interested ;)) and the tour operators placed great emphasis on the fact that they only used European aircraft - which tells its own story I think.

Cyclic Hotline
26th Jun 2003, 02:33
Er, maybe that's because the rest were hijacked (http://www.douglasdc3.com/cuba/cuba.htm)?

Cuban DC-3 auction! (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5999866.htm)

Sensible
28th Jun 2003, 15:42
Thats getting to Cuba from Europe. I do believe that the Cubana fleet have a problem with their AOC because of serious maintenance issues. The Cuban owned aircraft flying in Cuba are best described as junk. I got to see an Antonov used to ferry people around Cuba and I'm not an engineer but as a pilot, I'd be reluctant to fly the aircraft over water or terrain where an emergency landing would be tricky. It was obvious from a cursory inspection that the aircraft was ready for the scrap heap. Other Cuban owned aircraft are in similar condition.

javelin
29th Jun 2003, 01:27
If you are on a package holiday and stay at Varadero, there is an excellent aero club/parachute club within minutes on a scooter. they have Zlin 242's and an Antonov AN2 available to fly or jump out of. Spoke to the guys last year and found them very friendly and laid back:cool: