PDA

View Full Version : Nanchang CJ-6

LowNSlow
10th Jun 2003, 05:14
I've just watched a program on Disco Wings about the CJ-6. For the uninitiated this is the civilised (prettier) version of the the Yak 52. As I understand it, they both developed from the Yak 18 but the Chinese went for proper put away wheels and a more square look at the tail and wingtips. Oh yes, they put some dihedral on the outer wing panels as well.

It's just a personal opinion but I think the CJ-6 is a lovely looking aircraft, nicer than the Yak 52. I know that some people tried to get a CJ-6 on a CAA Permit a while back. Does anybody in Ppruneland know how they got on?

atb1943
10th Jun 2003, 07:04
Seems as though they have been on the market since at least 2000, according to the photos on Airliners.net. Several in the USA, Oz, NY and Canada.

At least one in the UK, G-BVVG, visited Popham 6 May 2002 and if I get this right, you might even get to see a photo here....hold breath....

http://www.airliners.net/photos/small/8/0/0/235008.jpg

Wonder how they compare...?

Potter1
10th Jun 2003, 14:29
This is a good site for information

http://www.yakity.com/

I have seen a couple in the UK, but not many.

P...

stiknruda
10th Jun 2003, 17:59
Not too up on these aeroplanes but can recall an article in one of the two aviation comics, Pilot or Flyer a few years back.

IIRC the CJ6 has a less powerful engine than the '52.

Have only seen one once and that was doing a display at school on the Shotley peninsular in Suffolk - upon departure he held it down and so low was it that I swear I saw turf from the rugger pitch being carved out:eek: :eek:

Stik

Lowtimer
10th Jun 2003, 18:59
I've never seen one in the UK since Peter Underhill wrote about it for Pilot, but it has a reputation in the USA as being a sweet-handling machine. The CJ-6 is not, however, a derivative of the Yak-52 or Yak-50, it is descended down a separate route from the Yak-18 (so the -6 and the -52 do have a considerable amount of DNA in common, as a look in the cockpit quickly shows). The wing geometry of the -6, and the way its main gear retracts, bears much more resemblance to that of the Yak-18T which is frequently seen in the UK, than it does to that of the Yak-50 and -52, which looks flat to me (but I gather actually has just 2 degress of dihedral). Most CJ-6s have the Housai engine of 260 or 285 hp, though in the USA some people have installed the Yak's 360 hp M-14P. In standard form the -52 has a lot more acceleration, climb and aerobatic capability, but the CJ-6 with its fully retracting undercarriage is a more efficient cruiser. Some people say that it has a better instantaneous turn capability, with its bigger wing, but in sustained manoeuvring the Yak's higher power to weight ratio should see it maintain the edge. A 360 or 400 hp CJ-6 might well be lots of fun. It is perhaps notable that the latest tailwheel Yak-52 versions have fully-retracting, door equipped main gear, and according to the Termikas web site this drag reduction puts no less than 30 km/h on the top speed.

(edited to correct the dihedral point!)

Warped Factor
10th Jun 2003, 21:43
There's one lives at White Waltham. More than that I know not.

WF.

Feather #3
11th Jun 2003, 16:00
A friend has an M-14P in his CJ-6. 165kt TAS at 36 l/hr. Not bad!!

G'day ;)

Flash0710
11th Jun 2003, 17:19
The above CJ 6 ( bvvg ) is based at eglm and i have had a few dogfights with it in my yak 52 the pilot of the CJ has considerably more hours than me but what i can report is the Yak has a greater vertical ability as opposed to the CJ's superior turning prowess.

any excuse for fun tho!

And b4 Wide-body Replies.....

......We know you got us both in the chippie!!!!

;)

Wide-Body
12th Jun 2003, 03:23
Thanks flash

Just put it down to old age and cunning (pilot & Chippie)

Wide:D

LowNSlow
12th Jun 2003, 17:30
Thanks for the replies folk.

I'd imagine that spares for the Housai engine could be a tad more difficult to get hold of compared to the M-14P.

Southern Cross
12th Jun 2003, 19:00
No way would I go for a Nanchang over a Yak 52. Go for more power,more manouevrability, more similar aeroplanes to play with (eg at formation school at North Weald), probably more spare parts and engineers like RGA or Yak UK available to maintain for you, etc....

P

I have control
13th Jun 2003, 02:08
It's certainly possible to have one on a CAA permit, with some work required. My girlfriend owns one. I'll tell her to get on here and explain.

It's often mentioned on websites and in magazine articles that the CJ-6 is a Yak 18 derivative. There is an active CJ6 community in the USA and 2 years ago they had the original designer of the CJ6 over from China. He was rather offended with all the Yak 18 derivative talk and claims it as a completely different design, indigenous to China - albeit with a very similar look.

There have been about 2000 built so spares and engines are not any trouble at all - particularly as the whole plane is back in factory production. They have exhibited at Oshkosh the past two years offering brand new machines.

Sir George Cayley
14th Jun 2003, 06:51
As a confirmed CJ6 fan your offer would be very welcome

How about a photograph?

Of the aircraft !

Sir George Cayley

The air is a navigable ocean that laps at everyones door