PDA

View Full Version : PPL Instructors - Grandfather Rights

B9
9th Jun 2003, 15:18
I appreciate that this may be ancient history but I would be grateful to anyone who could help me with a question about PPL Instructors. I was taught by one in the 80's and I recently heard that he is still instructing with 'preserved rights' albeit with restrictions. When the changeover to BCPL was made what happened to the part-time instructors, many at 'clubs', who were teaching on the basis of a PPL and an Instructors Course? Were they given Grandfather rights and allowed to continue instructing in a club environment and, if so, what was the procedure? Thank you

RodgerF
9th Jun 2003, 18:23
When the BCPL came in all Instructors who only had a PPL and a valid FI/AFI rating could apply for a BCPL restricted to flight instruction. Can't remember exactly when but about 1989/1990.

BEagle
10th Jun 2003, 00:23
Many still instruct on their R/BCPLs; there is no compulsion to change to any JAR licence in order to continue to instruct for remuneration under these grandfather rights.

The only change was the deletion of the CAA Class 2 medical and the stubborn insistence of the Belgrano in making these folk have JAA Class 1 medicals instead.

StrateandLevel
12th Jun 2003, 03:45
You can still have an instructor rating on a JAA PPL however: you must have demonstrated CPL level knowlege, and cannot be remunerated. The JAA PPL instructor only needs a Class 2 medical.