PDA

View Full Version : is an honours degree really worth it?

Blinkz
8th Jun 2003, 21:01
hey guys.

I'm in the third year of a computer science and mangament degree at Edinburgh uni (degrees are 4 years long in scotland for those who don't know) I've never particulary enjoyed the degree and found the subject matter to be quite hard. I have the option to leave at the end of my third year with just a BSc CompSci and Management. Will I be loosing alot by not gaining a honours degree?

Like I said I find the degree quite hard so if I did stay on for the 4th year I don't think I would get better then a 2:2, more likely a third. Is it better to just not waste the time/money of another year at uni by just getting a non-honours?

Afterwards I'm hoping to start flight training, either here or in US/Aus (due to colourblindess, depends if i can pass the CAA tests or not)

Any advice welcome. thanks for reading.

Gerund
8th Jun 2003, 22:46
Blinkz

If you are planning a career in aviation an honours degree is not worth the vellum it's written on.

GCSE is all you need for a flying career, and that's pushing it.

For your own sake you should push your academic career as far as you can, but aviation certainly doesn't require academic excellence. In fact it is a drawback.

If you have a good academic background, and a general interest in the world, you will be bored to tears and the worse for it.

I remember asking a room crowded with aircrew what the capital of Finland was. The answers and blank looks said it all!

ecj
8th Jun 2003, 23:58
Complete your degree with honours: a 2:2 is fine.

The medical forum will deal with your colour vision. Marginal cases require to pass the lantern test. See the medical section on the CAA website. Why not take the initial class one now before your final year?

Blinkz
9th Jun 2003, 00:58
I know most of what there is to know about colourblindness. am going down to gatwick in July for a colourvision test and if I pass that then I will prob get my class one asap.

At the moment I am just unsure weather to spend another year at uni or to quit now with a plain Bsc and start flight training.

niknak
11th Jun 2003, 07:21
Blinkz

Quit now and you have a BSc, which, although not to be sniffed at, is not exactly uncommon.

Complete your course, get the honours degree, and you'll have an advantage over others in life.
I agree with other postings that in avaition, an honours degree will not count for much in the initial selection process, and if you want to make at as a commercial pilot, you'll have to work harder to pass the exams than you ever did during university life.

However, should it transpire that you don't like aviation, or it doesn't like you, you'll still have your honours degree, which will open doors in other careers that may not have been otherwise possible.

UKflyer
11th Jun 2003, 17:21
Blinkz,

I would definitely do the honours part of your degree if you have a chance to. This will give you the oppotunity to do a dissertation - a research project. I did an aviation related dissertation with my BIS degree, so it gives you something to talk about or write about in your applications. Of course there may be other things to write about, but i would certainly take up the chance while you can....

hope this helps.

JB.

jstew15
12th Jun 2003, 05:39
Blinkz,

I'm in exactly the same situation. I'm just about finished my 3rd year doing Aerospace Engineering at Glasgow. I have also been thinking about leaving with a BSc. I'm finding the course really hard now, and if I continue with 4th year, I expect I will get a 2:2.
I have been thinking hard about it, for the last few month and I think that I am going to stay on for 4th year.
Like, 'niknak' said,

However, should it transpire that you don't like aviation, or it doesn't like you, you'll still have your honours degree, which will open doors in other careers that may not have been otherwise possible.

I think that it is unlikely I will not like a career in aviation, and aviation seems to like me with the flying I have done over the past 2 years. I just hope I get good results in my exams this year.

Whatever you decide to do, all the best!

JS

jonathang
12th Jun 2003, 05:43
In the same position as jstew15,

My question with the present climate in the Industry.

Whats the rush ?

JG

P.S. Blinkz, Do I know you , I was in your year at Edinburgh Uni doing that Course, switched to Glasgow

Blinkz
12th Jun 2003, 05:49
hey guys. have come to the same conclusion. If I get the oppurtunity then I'm going to continue to try and get a honours, again I don't know if i'm going to pass this year or not, will have to just wait and see.

thanks to all the replies. All good points. Thanks for your help.

jstew and jonathang have pmed u both.