PDA

View Full Version : Re-birth of Cougar Leasing?

Stability Jane
8th Jun 2003, 04:58
Engineering rumour that the boss of Cougar Leasing (In Administration) planning to re-start with a heavy type, possibly DC10. Gathered on this forum that the ex employees were not paid so hope that you have now received some money. And hope that you 727 guys will be offered jobs on the new type.

Jack The Lad
8th Jun 2003, 06:58
Dear Jane

I don't think the boss is in Administration, but rather his former airline! I wouldn't be surprised at all if he did start again, with a heavy. More like a 747 classic than a DC10.

If he didn't pay his crews, shame on him, but why would he then consider paying for type rating courses for his ex 727 drivers, when he could recruit type rated drivers? Doesn't make sense to me and particularly given the 'low-cost' model of his former airlines!

Maybe you know more than I do, or prefer to put a pretty spin on things.

Stability Jane
8th Jun 2003, 09:38
Jack the Lad, I did say in my post that the company is in administration, not the boss. Sadly, I agree with your other points. Perhaps the advise to future prospective employees is BEWARE!

Breeze Block
8th Jun 2003, 19:37
Operated through MAN last week and heard same rumour re the stored Monarch DC10.

Sorry to hear that you ex Cougar folks are owed your salaries etc. Must be a difficult time for you, but I really do hope that all of you eventually find something much better.

Same thing seems to happen much too often, and the victims are always the workers. Unfortunately, "moral responsibility to employees" is an anathema to business. Most businesses.

Any future employees of a re birth should either buck the trend by requesting payment in advance, or else have a good pension to fall back on!

LED-ZEP
9th Jun 2003, 00:20
Sounds to me that anyone who works for this bloke wants their head testing. Is it Legal to do this sort of thing and get away with not paying people .Well hopefully people will read these theads and not get their toes burned. I did see the other threads about Cougar on the freight dogs bit they didn't sound that good.

STAGE COACH DRIVER
9th Jun 2003, 00:30
As a former employee all this worries me as I am owed a considerable amount of money by these crooks and the thought of them just restarting another airline makes me cringe.Is there nothing the CAA can do about this sort of thing?I thought everything was regulated in aviation!

Breeze Block
9th Jun 2003, 06:07
Ask the CAA.
Though Cougar was a cargo outfit. The Monarch 10 sounds like just a bad rumour. 747 cargo, wet leased to someone like Cathay might be more plausible.

rupetime
11th Jun 2003, 00:33
Cougar would have been regulated by the CAA being cargo or not, the aircraft were on the G register however the CAA dont offer any employee protection only consumer safety and financial protection.

From what i hear another passenger start up is likely.

coopervane
11th Jun 2003, 06:29
If the story is true about the 10, I hope Monarch have been looking after it as it has become a bit of a mobile roundabout at Manchester.

I thought it was destined to become another Air OPS Tristar in the sense that it would end up as a cabin trainer or a fire dump special.

Would be nice to see it fly again and hope if Cougar do go down this road, the ex employees will get some sort of compensation even if its a Type course. I am sure you all are apprehensive to say the least, but see what happens..........you never know, some good may come out of it.

There was more than a few disgruntled faces at Gatwick when Sir Freddie dropped his Laker 10 back into the scene a few years ago in the old livery. He tried and failed but at least he tried!

Coop

HZ123
11th Jun 2003, 14:17
Does this a/c have a cargo door, as I assume it must have as the cost to convert would surely be prohibitive.

Breeze Block
11th Jun 2003, 18:53
With their past track record, one has to question the advisibility of anyone doing business with them in the future.

But it would be useful if you guys can at least get a type rating, and some experience out of it. That apart, I would certainly not expect any company loyality.

Wonder what the suppliers think about it. Cash for fuel?

Sounds like another of those third rate outfits.

BAe 146-100
11th Jun 2003, 23:13
Hi,

Last year in Airliner World magazine they stated that they would be looking at getting a DC-10. I hope Cougar do re-start they had a great livery!

BAe 146-100 :)

http://www.ludo-apron.org/images/avions/b727cougar.jpg

VIKING9
12th Jun 2003, 00:42
Well, what can I say? I think the DOT and CAA need to investigate if this does go ahead. Now, where's their number !!

rentaghost
12th Jun 2003, 01:12
The MON DC10 does not have a cargo door. I also believe it needs a 'C' check which as HZ123 says probably makes it 'cost prohibitive'.

coopervane
12th Jun 2003, 06:36
My Travel are rumoured to be ditching theres in 12 to 18 months as the engine pylon mod is a Costly affair. Heard a while back that the Monarch 10 was destined for the desert to be ferried by MYT crew after a C check at FLS. Nowt came of it and it still festers at Man.

Coop

jmc757
12th Jun 2003, 22:11
I have read from a fleet listing website (a reliable one at that) that Monarch Airlines have purchased the DC-10 from its lessors and plan to use it as a ground trainer?!

G-AZUK
12th Jun 2003, 22:39
Basically the cost of the work required to enable it to fly anywhere, even to storage meant it was actually cheaper to purchase it from the lease company.

Breeze Block
15th Jun 2003, 20:21
Is it true that that engineering talent Dave Hughes is the engineering director of Cougar?

If it is, well........................................................ ......

VIKING9
16th Jun 2003, 04:42
Breeze Block - director !!! He couldn't direct his way out of a well lit alley http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/lol.gif

HZ123
16th Jun 2003, 09:03
In this months LASS it states that it is to be stripped and donated to MAN airport museum. (stripped of what exactly ?)