PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best for JAR Perf (distance learning)?

Gearupandorrf
7th Jun 2003, 11:09
Hi Guys/ Girls!

Due to the fact that I passed my ATPL subjects under the old CAA system (pre JAR), and didn't get around to sitting Perf A prior to the changeover, I need to sit the JAR Perf exam prior to applying for jobs in the UK (I'm moving there this November).

I'd really like to study for the exam via distance learning, so that I can pass it as soon as I get there.

Which is the best school for Perf via distance learning? Back in 1999/2000 when I did my ATPL's, Alex Whittingham (Bristol) was THE MAN for Perf. Is this still the case? Alternatively, if you have any other recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for your help,
Cheers,
Gearupandorrf.

jamup
8th Jun 2003, 12:33
I did my ATPL few weeks a go and yes , Alex does a a good Job at Bristol but mate , by any chance dont do it at LGU ( LOndon MEt UNI) since they guy is rubbish I herd some stirous that most of the people ended up buying the Oxford manual, I have not been there but had more than 10 mats eventually finished the ATPl somewhere else,

James

Gearupandorrf
8th Jun 2003, 23:09
G'day James,
Thanks for your reply, confirmed my thoughts. I never really did consider London Guild Hall anyway.

Mate, are you currently in the UK or here in Oz? I see you fly the Duchess, great little aircraft and terrific IR training platform. I actually did my initial multi IR in one at PAT (Bournemouth), and will be renewing the IR/ Class Rating in one when I get back to the UK (to live) this November.

If you are still in Oz, where abouts are you based?

Cheers Mate,
Gearupandorrf.

Delta Wun-Wun
9th Jun 2003, 03:01
Nothing has changed whilst you were away....." Alex he`d the man.":ok: :ok:

Paulscho
9th Jun 2003, 03:27
I think you are forgetting to mention Chris Perry and Steve Francis at Oxford.
They would be hard to beat on Perf'!!!

Hansard
11th Jun 2003, 05:04
I learned more on a one-day brush-up with Chris Perry at Oxford than I did on a 6 month full-time course with another FTO. Did the brush-up having failed the subject twice and passed 3rd time with a very good mark.

jamup
11th Jun 2003, 12:16
Yes , I heard good news about alex o as far as I know the guy who does the Subject at LGU is using outdated teaching skills, he used to be an ex RAF guy , to pas the performnace we nedd the latest methoda isnt it ? we need to know the performnce of kets and we need new teaching skills to pass th eexam, end of the day all we need is to pass the exam , and we use only 40% in real life

Cherrrsssss

pugzi
10th Jul 2003, 06:07
He he, Paulscho you are my best advertisment, i only wish more students would spread the word, i'd die a contented and rich man. Thats if I earnt any royalties from the Met Cd, which I don't. Hmm, what you recon about me making a Perf ATPL Cd? anyone buy it you think?

Steve;) ;)

Jinkster
10th Jul 2003, 16:34
The one-day brush up courses at Oxford are fantastic :ok:

Chris Perry Knows his stuff and puts it across to the class very well - this i find helps me to study very well.

Steve - Please do make a Perf CDROM (if it is as good as the met cd :ok: or how about doing a CD for all the subjects :ok:

Well done Oxford :ok:

Jinkster

pugzi
10th Jul 2003, 18:35
All the subjects!!! Hmmm, where was the £100,000 pounds I saw lying around somewhere. Anyway, I've made a PPL Performance CD-ROM but you'll have to go through Transair to get it. Email me if you want more info on it, or if you're willing to give me 100,000 (and some) to do all the ATPL's on CD-ROM.

Steve:D

DanielBaxter
11th Jul 2003, 00:25
I am currently on the 3rd and final phase at LMU, and the only gripe I've had so far has been with Meteorology in this phase. I started doing the ATPL theories by distance-learning with LMU, but due to changed circumstances I then went full-time. I think that with Distance Learning it was a lot harder to keep motivated, as there is nobody to keep you going. However, with both the Distance Learning and Residential methods, I believe that the key is quality learning, not quantity. Hunched over a book for hours looking at lots of words on a page is not necessarily the most effective way of doing things. I have passed every exam that i've sat 1st time, including a 75% scrape in A/C Systems which i did Distance Learning, so I do speak from experience. The hardest thing is knowing what to concentrate on, and which bits you can leave out. With that in mind, I personally found the full-time residential easier, though commuting has been a nightmare, particularly since the hot sticky weather began!

In response to comments about Performance at LMU.... actually, i find that Peter Knapp is one of the most knowledgable of the tutors around. He knows the subjects inside out and knows exactly what to home in on, and what can be skipped. He's really friendly and is always most helpful. People who make Chief Ground Instructors can't be muppets can they? So unless people have actually experienced Knappy first-hand, I'd encourage you to keep comments about him and his teaching to yourselves. You never know who reads these boards, and the "old-boys network" stretches further than you'd think, and with powers beyond imagination. Being a slanderer isn't the best reputation to turn up to an interview with.....

jamup
12th Jul 2003, 20:50
Danila Bax,

Good on u mate , is he the CGI now , , and by the way whats your commision for all these nice comments , ,,,,,,,, dont know why thgere were few senior guys , specially M Ald ,,, anyway keep up speak upupup,,,, ,,,

anyway did u get the Oxford feedabac printed on LMU sheets ,,,,

James

CAT3C AUTOLAND
15th Jul 2003, 04:50
Born and bread at LMU, passed Performance first time :)

Jamup, I suggest you work on your spelling mate, and to put someone in a 'rubbish' catergory is fairly lame and narrow minded, especially if you have had the information second hand.

It may be an idea to come up with some more constructive comments.

cargo boy
12th Aug 2003, 00:08
James, if your reading is anything like your typing then whatever you have to say about someone from behind your cloak of anonymity speaks volumes for whatever you recommend! In this case I'd suggest to anyone reading your comments would be well advised to consider the exact opposite.

See me before you actually apply for your first flying job, that is if you actually manage to pass all your exams. Come to think of it, you may see me at your interview if you have applied to my company! :bored:

timzsta
13th Aug 2003, 00:40
Am Distance Learing with LGU. Peter's Performance Lectures during the brush up week I did in Jan 03 were excellent. I got a good pass in the exam despite not feeling comfortable with the subject before going to the revision class - so that speaks volumes for Peter. He was more then willing to answer last minute questions via e-mail in the final days before the exam. All round top bloke.

Daniel speaks wise words. Someone who has worked in BA's performance department is not going to be a "muppet". On the subject of LGU in general - people seem to gripe about them more then other FTO's but the only people that seem to have gripes are those who have failed exams - which speaks volumes IMHO.

If you are having probs with performance please feel free to send a private message. Would be delighted to help.

Jamup - i hope you got 100% of the 40% of performance you think you need to know rite in your exam. If I am a punter in your jet one day I might need you to know it to say my life.