PDA

View Full Version : New Airport in Oxfordshire

Slotty
7th Jun 2003, 02:48
Heard a rumour (guess this is the place) that the government is planning on building a new £3.5 Billion airport just southwest of Abingdon in Oxfordshire, land bought to supposedly create reservoirs, it'll have 4 large runways and be linked to both the M4 and M40 as well as a high speed rail link, just wondered if anyone else has any info on this, wouldn't this affect Brize, Fairford and Benson? Anybody know anything???:confused:

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Jun 2003, 03:00
Ooh Yes please!

Can't see it happening somehow. Not in this decade at least.

Where did you hear this rumour? I don't think its appeared on PPRuNes radar before...

Neil Porter
7th Jun 2003, 03:04
In our local papers last year, it was stated this proposal was being looked at, but was decided not to go with it for numerous reasons, not unless Goverment has changed its mind yet again.

If anyone had any brains, before the army moved into RAF Abingdon, could have saved themselves a fortune and re-used this airfield and expanded

Slotty
7th Jun 2003, 03:05
Heard it from someone who lives in the Abingdon area, be great though no more getting frustrated driving to Heathrow and Gatwick. Don't see any reservoirs being built though!?? Named LOX.
http://www.pleiade.org/ Old I know..

BEagle
7th Jun 2003, 03:49
A rumour which re-surfaces from time to time. As does the idea of a huge reservoir 5 times the area of Farmoor resevoir to be built near the Hanneys.......

All bolleaux. Stop exisiting leaks in the water system and store water in restored canals before digging unwanted holes in the ground!

witchdoctor
8th Jun 2003, 01:52
Well, Oxford Aviation Training are going to need somewhere pretty massive to train the thousands of eager beavers rushing to buy their ATPLs at present.:}

Ace Rimmer
10th Jun 2003, 16:00
At Rimmer Airport News we've got the the full spec (have had for quite a while now) basically LOX (London OXford) is a proposal from a consortium led by Hoctief Airport (Don't mention Shoenfeld...OK I will but only if the price is right). Never Mind Brize it makes an impressive bo££@x of LHR airspace...

But having been missed out of SERAS (into which it would have fallen) basically it's pretty much dead in the water (or resevoir) of course that could all change at any time up to the white paper published.;)

Wycombe
10th Jun 2003, 20:15
For anyone who doesn't know this part of the World (SW of Abingdon, N of Wantage), it is very flat and looks like an ideal spot for a major Airport.

Look to the W when driving up the A34 towards Abingdon from Didcot - you'll see what I mean.

newswatcher
10th Jun 2003, 20:38
IMHO, it is a great pity that they didn't do anything with Upper Heyford. Lay a spur from railway, close to M40. Close Kidlington, and get masses of money from building on it.

Better than the big car park it was last time I saw it!