PDA

View Full Version : Keep your skills

Calle
7th Jun 2003, 02:33
Hi Guys!

I have a question for you! I´m a new pilot, just finished my education. So, here I stand, with a fresh CPL/IR/ME ATPL.

Like the market is now, I dont have a clue how I´m gonna get a job. But I´ll figure something out.

In the meantime I must keep my skills fresh, both theoretical and practical. Back to the question, how do you keep your skills intact?
Is it enough with Flight Sim and some real flying once in a while?

Please give me some good tip!

/calle

Miserlou
7th Jun 2003, 06:00
Hej Calle,

Fly aerobatics!!!

You get the most handling per unit currency.

Tinstaafl
10th Jun 2003, 06:39
Aerobatics is fun & will improve certain aspects of your handling. Loops aren't usually examined in an interview though. The skills you will have to demonstrate in an interview will be IR related. Your IR skills deteriorate rapidly, especially with low experience. Find a cheap sim & use it frequently eg London Guildhall (or whatever they call themselves now) has an ATC810 for ~25 quid/hr (20 quid for past students). Do a mix of exercises & don't just practice your old, familiar approaches & departures.

Get your friends & family together & take them on cost share flights from time to time. Go places, don't just potter around the circuit.

An instructor rating is an option to maintain & improve your skills as well as increase your experience. You may even make a quid (only the one though... :sad: )

ecj
10th Jun 2003, 15:27
If you still have some cash left consider doing a Saab 340 type rating course at SAS. Goldenair operate Saabs.

Give them a ring first to see they are hiring in the near future.

Your first airline job is usually the hardest to get.

You have done your MCC course?