PDA

View Full Version : What do I need?

Maxflyer
7th Jun 2003, 00:45
Firstly, if I have posted to the wrong forum, then can I apologise to the moderators.

I have recently completed my PPL ... fat, forty one and happy:) ...

I understand that if I owned my own a/c and charged for pleasure flights in the local area, I would need a commercial license. I have no intention of becoming an airline pilot, but I don't actually know what exam/training I would need for this requirement.

Any help or pointers gratefully received.

jar66_b2
7th Jun 2003, 17:33
I'm only a lowly Engineer here but when I was looking into doing my PPL licence last year, I understood that as long as you only charge for what what it costs you (I.E fuel and landing fees etc) and don't actually make a profit out of it then there wouldn't be a problem.

However, another implication I guess would be the insurance aspect if something were to happen to one of your pax during one of these pleasure flights.

This is only my understanding of it, somone else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (Which is more often than not!)

Hope this helps

gus_honeybun
7th Jun 2003, 20:19
Renumeration as a PPL is always a touchy subject. I don't think you can charge a passenger for all that operating costs, however, they can be expected to cough up a preportion (50% if it's you and a pax), but make sure your insurance is in order.
Last year I was trying to help a friend out by offering a pleasure flight as a prize to help raise some money for a charity. I phoned the CAA to ask them what the legal position was and they basically told me the above. However, the CAA chap gave me an impression that if you do want to charge, then there won't be a problem unless you have an accident, when the insurance companies get involved. As a result, I decided not to offer the prize and as a result I don't ask people to contribute if I take them for a local bimble.

Just for your info, to charge for any flight, your plane needs a public CofA. You on the other hand need to have a CPL which entails the following;
1) Class 1 Medical
2) All the CPL writtens done. These can be done by distance learning, and are not as intensive as the Airline Transport exams.
3) 100 PIC
4) Sufficient night training (5 full stop landings and 1hr X Country)
5) 300 nm X-Country with 2 stops.
6) Completed a CPL course with a registered school and obviously passed the skills test (reckon on about £6000 for all that)

I know all this seems daunting to a PPL (congratulations by the way), but them der are de rules.