PDA

View Full Version : Student record/Exams

Dewdrop
6th Jun 2003, 20:51
These may sound like stupid questions but I'm going to ask them anyway.
I am part way through my PPL (about 40 hrs + 3 exams passed) and I was wondering about my student record and exam passes.
First of all the exams, is there something sent to the CCA each time I pass an exam and could I verify that the CCA has this ?
Second my student record, is it mine or the flying school ? if I changed school would it move with me ?

In Altissimus
6th Jun 2003, 21:58
I went through this when I changed schools last year...

This is my understanding:

'Student records' belong to the school.
Exam papers/results belong to the CAA (not you or the school) - this includes things like the QXC report.
If you change school, the exams etc. will go with you, the other stuff may or may not - but it doesn't really matter.

In practise, I think even the dodgiest schools DO tend to pass all the stuff on (as, by definition, they don't want the CAA asking questions).

If you feel you have reason to change schools - just do it ! I made the mistake of hanging on with a very dubious outfit and it cost me a lot of money and uneccesary stress.

p.s. If you can get your instructor to 'sign off' things like solo hours in your log book before you leave, it may make life simpler at the new school.

RichyRich
6th Jun 2003, 22:00
My impression only, don't take as fact:

I don't think the CAA have any clue to whether you've done any exams or not, and will only see this when you apply for your licence. I have some recent experience regarding my exams which I don't want to go into, but I do know my FTO have the exam answer sheets (what do you call them? exam papers are the questions, which obviously they have, but they also have my answer sheets) and my CFI indicated that the CAA are only really told of the results: its up to the FTO to keep them for a period of time (2 years springs to mind).

As for your record, the FTO will keep this unless you move, in which case they will send it on to your next school. My first school went bust, and they gave me my record, which I subsequently handed to my new school.

HelenD
7th Jun 2003, 01:42
I took a copy of my student records from one school to the other and back and I also took my CAA forms with me that had all my ground exams signed off. I believe the schools can get records from one another if the student dosent want to be involved. Just ask the CFI to deal with everything and leave you to get on with your training.

flyingwysiwyg
7th Jun 2003, 01:42
I would think that if you are going to change schools, the new flying school would request the exam details from the old flying school.

Don't forget you only have a 12 month window to pass all your exams. (Apologies if you already know this)

I forgot this when I was learning which ended up with two re - takes, one of which was air law :{

FWyg

Evo
7th Jun 2003, 02:07
Don't forget you only have a 12 month window to pass all your exams.

It's 18 months now...:ok:

flyingwysiwyg
7th Jun 2003, 02:11
Evo,

Thanks for that, hadn't realised! That's seems more reasonable, as in my 12 months I hadn't forgotten anything. I just got bogged down with work.

Good news :ok:

knobbygb
7th Jun 2003, 04:18
I always thought the exam papers 'belonged' to the examiner, not the school, CAA or student. The examiner is sort of independant of the school - as in, they have to have their own license and renawls etc. issued by the CAA to be able to conduct exams.

There is a single sheet of paper which goes to the CAA on completion of the course which has your hours summarised, and a list of exam marks - each line signed by the examiner who marked the particular paper. I reckon you should get your current examiner(s) to sign off each exam on this form now - even if you go to a new school it's the original examiner that'll have to sign this form for the exams you've already done - not the new one.

I don't think your student records go to the CAA - just this form, which sumamrises things such as total time, solo and dual time, cross country time etc. along with exam marks.

Hope this makes sense, and hope I've got it right.