PDA

View Full Version : HPL exam

Jinkster
6th Jun 2003, 00:11
Just had my HPL exam today at Silsoe and what a load of rubbish - well not many of the feedback questions I saw came up.

What did anybody else think to it?

Jinkster

TRon
6th Jun 2003, 05:34
Completely and Utterly off the wall. half of the stuff I had had never heard of, or was too obscure to answer confidently.

I had heard HPL was the banker, I must admit I think that is the one I am most confident I failed!.

Jinkster
6th Jun 2003, 17:07
Got to agree with you there Tron - and the question about hyperventilation was a pig

Oh well - lets see how we all did in a week or so's time.

Jinkster

TRon
6th Jun 2003, 17:35
I was told implicitly that breathing into a paper bag had no medical use, it was merely a physcological placebo to make people calm down?.

Oh well, we'll see!!

mackey
6th Jun 2003, 17:45
:confused:

I also took HPL,I think the CAA want us all to be psychologists!!

I totally agree with you both,I sat through most of the exam scratching my head.

All the exams I took this week(7 in all),were bloody hard.Perhaps its like the driving test,pass some ,fail some depending which month it is!!

Oh well looking forward to the results(yer right!).

Me thinks another trip up to the caa again.:{

TRon
6th Jun 2003, 23:12
Yeh, me too.

Oh well :rolleyes: . Hoover Time

moku
7th Jun 2003, 00:44
I sat the exam at Gatwick.
What a load of BULL!! Where do the CAA/JAR come up with
some of the Crap they asked in that exam!
That is one that I will now be retaking!

mad_jock
7th Jun 2003, 07:40
Looks like the rumours last year that the French were complaining about the content of HPL have come true.

This goes back to diving physiology don't remember doing it in HPL

The breathing into a bag is because the rate you breath is related to the PH in your blood which if you are hyperventerlating is extremely low (low CO2). This puts your body into shock which increases the panic level. Breathing into the bag increases the CO2 to normal levels which allows the body to come out of shock. Then lets the brain to recover control.

In diving this can be a very bad thing because if you hyperventilate then hold your breath the body gets its trigger to breath from the PH level (carboxy acid I think). So you can run out of oxygen for respiraion before the body gets its trigger to breath. So you just pass out. Which because we need a consuious thought to keep the demand valve in our mouths, usually leads to death unless you buddy spots it in time.

MJ

Justiciar
7th Jun 2003, 17:12
Not done the exam but agree with mad_jock. The dangers of panic and hyperventilation are well known to divers. Not sure that the body goes into shock though. Unconsciousness can occur because the low levels of carbon dioxide in the blood mean that the breathing reflex is not triggered. This is quite diffrerent from shock in the medical sense. Its also one of the big dangers for free divers, who will often pass out suddenly and often on the surface because the hyperventilation before the dive flushes the system of Co2.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
10th Jun 2003, 21:30
well not many of the feedback questions I saw came up.

Have you ever thought about reading the book?

Jinkster
11th Jun 2003, 02:33
I DID read the book!!!

letsrock2019
11th Jun 2003, 23:22
if the CAA does not accept the answer about the paper bag, you should write to the FAA and CAA, cuz this is in all FAA books.(question for privat pilot)
the paper bag decreases your Oxygen in your blood then brain.
All I know and it s what a FAA FI teaches.

Polar Maritime
12th Jun 2003, 00:08
Here, here learn the subject rather than just using feed back Monkey

Jinkster
12th Jun 2003, 00:39
MR PM - I do wish you would speak out and tell me who you are - SE England I have narrowed it down to two people

SE England - Must be a southern fairy

Ps. Check you private messages

Jinkster
17th Jun 2003, 19:03
Results came through 61% what a suprise for this lousy paper - how did anyone get along with it.

jinkster

moku
18th Jun 2003, 02:21
Got HP&L...with a narrow margin of 78%. Also 5 out of the 7 that I took! :)

Dynamic Apathy
22nd Jun 2003, 08:57
Hi Jinkster,

I have been following many threads tonight and your name crops up all over the place. That isn't a bad thing in itself but does suggest that you aren't studying in the true sense of the word. Remember the JAA recommended weekly study is 15 hours, and that's a tough call IF YOU ARE WORKING.

The other thing that strikes me is that you are continually harping on about feedback, and offering it to all and sundry. Again not a bad thing but you have forgotten, it seems, that feedback isn't guaranteed to be correct, and won't necessarily cover the full subject syllabus. You are the classic reason why many schools caution you before the groundschool that the feedback doesn't replace study, just backs it up, and hopefully in the right areas.

Jinkster
23rd Jun 2003, 00:41
Dynamic Apathy,

If all feedback questions are for learning question and answers then I agree it to be a no no for what you have said on your previous post.

However if feedback questions are used for a back up to revision or to test the progress of your study then I personally do not see a problem with them at all. Some questions are conflicting which can be confusing at times but thats just how it is.

Jinkster

High Wing Drifter
23rd Jun 2003, 00:56
Surely you lot can protest the offending questions if they are not in the JAA objectives?

Dynamic Apathy
23rd Jun 2003, 05:50
Hi again Jinkster,

You have exactly proved my point in a way. Many questions are incorrectly remembered and contain conflicting or inaccurate answers. but then having accepted that particular risk there is the case that a significant number of questions may not have been covered by feedback.

One other problem with feedback is that you may think you recognise a particular question and not read it. There are questions similar to those in the feedback but written in the negative sense from the one you saw.

All in all, a combination of the above circumstances and suddenly a student who should have passed the exam fails. It is your choice, but the caution here is well meant. My advice is to cover the course notes again, and then check against your feedback, and with any luck you'll now spot the wrongly answered questions before they get you, and you'll be better prepared for when suddenly there isn't the luxury having seen all the questions before.

High Wing et al:

Students can comment on questions on their papers, but challenging the questions directly with the big bosses has to be done through your instructors, within 3 working days of the end of the exam week. The questions thus challenged are reconsidered by the CAA, but often the response is that the question was wrongly remembered and therefore safe. The integrity of the secret question bank will not be conpromised.

Oh well, we all have a cross to bear

TRon
23rd Jun 2003, 07:41
I agree in principle with Dynamic's Post. I found feedback an extremely valuable asset to the exams. I would feel ill prepared if I had not seen any feedback prior to an exam, but that's just me.

What you need to remember is that they seem to invert the question to try and throw the feedback kings. EG Met Exam in June, They asked what would the crosswind experienced with a sea breeze downwind with the runway on your left. In the feedback it is on your right, which means if you just learnt the answers and not read the questions thoroughly you'll get that one wrong!.

As I said in a previous post the French I believe are pushing for the Question Bank to be published something they were once the most adverse to.

Dont think'll I'll see it in my lifetime!.

Flash_heart
24th Jun 2003, 19:08
The European Resuscitation Council states "No person should be deprived from oxygen"! If a person is Hypo-ventilating, they will eventually loose consciousness and then start to breath normally.
True, in the aviation environment this is not a good scenario, but a fact all the same.

mad_jock
25th Jun 2003, 08:57
It dosn't matter what anyone else says, its the world according to JAR.

The fact that this dosn't actually agree with the real world dosn't matter its just the ****e we have to learn that matters.

Everone knows that you can get a plank of wood to fly if you have enough power and the right angle.

Its just something we have to do, if you get stressed out about it it just makes it worse. Just humour the twats and forget it.

MJ

Jinkster
25th Jun 2003, 15:36
:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) MJ