PDA

View Full Version : CCAT / Cabair

dwshimoda
5th Jun 2003, 20:41
Hi all,

I'm just about to make the final decision on whether to sell my sould to Satan and start on the integrated course.

Does anyone have any views on the CCAT (Cabair) course at Cranfield - other organisations seem to be mentioned a lot more, and I'm worried CCAT may not be the best place to train.

ANY help would be appreciated as this is the biggest step I've ever had to make in my life - selling my car, remortgaging my house, etc.

fly-dj
6th Jun 2003, 03:27
Hey dwshimoda

Am currently on the intergraged ATPL at CCAT, started in march and so far have been very happy with the course. The ground school is well run with some great instructors. The flight school side of things can suffer from the weather, well thats the UK for you, but is well run and there is talk at the mo of new aircraft for the single engine portion of the course. Nice if it happens!

However to answer you question, is Cabair better or worse that Oxford or BAE in Jerez, I cant really say as I have not had first hand experence of these schools. I choose Cabair because it was right for me, my advice would be visit all the FTO's you are considering, have a wish list of the things you want and ask them tough questions. At the end of the day we are the coustomers and the FTO's want our buisness.

You will find people on pprune going on and on about why their FTO is best, I cant see how anybody can know unless they have done the ATPL course at all of them to gain a fair comparison. Or that it really matters, the JAA ATPL(f) that you end up with is the same piece of paper regardless of which school it came from.

Do what feels right for you and best of luck.

DJ.

Obs cop
7th Jun 2003, 04:33
DW,

regardless of where you train you will get the same licences. What is more important is that you feel comfortable in the environment in which you will spend 13 to 15 months on a very demanding course.

That is very much a matter personal to you so before shelling out vast sums of money, I would suggest you visit them.

I had a look round Bae when they were based at Prestwick, Cabair when going for one scholarship, and OAT for another. They all have different styles and setups. Without completing all three courses, you will never get a valid direct comparison relevant to your needs. Your impressions and feedback from ex-students will give you the best guidance.

Personally, I thought Bae were excellent, but I don't know what their Jerez setup is like.

Good luck,

Obs cop

ecj
10th Jun 2003, 00:23
1. Yes, do look at them all, and decide what is best for you. The cheapest does not always give you the best value for money

2. Although you will end up with the same qualification, consider which FTO has the best MCC element?

3. Think Quality, Quality, Quality - everytime. It is not just a question of jumping through the hoops to obtain a licence.

MaxProp
10th Jun 2003, 03:37
dwshimoda--have you really done a business plan. In direct answer to your query all the schools mentioned so far are good, including CCAT.
Do you realise there are hundreds of school grads waiting jobs--not to mention 350 sas pilots .
If it was my house/car I would probably wait for the upturn-which will come.

ecj
10th Jun 2003, 04:30
This is a bit like the stock market.

Buy low - sell high.

Specifically, in our situation, the aviation market, it is a question of market forces, in other words:

SUPPLY & DEMAND

Takes me back to 1973 in Newcastle when a Dr. Reekie taught me first year Economics.

I could go on about elastic and non-elastics supply & demand curves to explain, in clinical terms, what is happening. ..........