PDA

View Full Version : Licence needed for Autogyros

WelshFlyer
5th Jun 2003, 03:29
I was wondering what kind of licence you need to fly small autogyros (Like Ken Wallis' machines) Can you fly them on an NPPL-Sep? or do you need a PPL-H?

WelshFlyer

BEagle
5th Jun 2003, 03:43
You'd need a PPL(G). See LASORS section C3.

WelshFlyer
5th Jun 2003, 04:03
I'll be converting to JAA-PPL(A) and then CPL (A) Is there some way I can add on to a PPL(A) to enable me to fly Autogyros, a conversion course for example.

WelshFlyer

formationfoto
5th Jun 2003, 04:38
From memory you can get a PPL(G) through a course with a guy called Roger Savage at Carlisle (I think). Used to be included as part of PPL (H) but now a seperate class. Can't remember the training requirement - the CAA site will clarify (maybe!).

WelshFlyer
5th Jun 2003, 04:47
Thanks! It feels like your'e the eternal student in this buisness!
But I fell in love with Autogyros after seeing Ken Wallis' machines - They are incredible.

WelshFlyer

Whirlybird
5th Jun 2003, 06:05
WelshFlyer,
Unless it's changed, you'll need a PPL(G), but your PPL(A) will give you a reduction in the hours needed. But Roger Savage can tell you. I did a couple of hours with him a few years back; great fun. :ok:

QDMQDMQDM
5th Jun 2003, 16:22
Some of the past threads on autogyros on the rotorheads forum will give you food for thought.

David

G-AMMY
5th Jun 2003, 16:40
I quite fancied doing the Autogyro PPL conversion course (about 20 hours for a PPL(A) holder), but after having a look at the accident statistics I decided not to. :eek: