PDA

View Full Version : Pick an axe pick any axe

Touch'n'oops
4th Jun 2003, 19:12
What do airlines do when they are required by regulation to carry a fire axe in the cabin?

I know it has to be kept out of sight, but could a passenger get hold of this axe and attack flight crew?

jungly
4th Jun 2003, 19:17
Axes & crow bars, where are they........ that would be telling!

A pax could equally grab a bottle of wine, smash it & use it as a weapon.

BN2A
4th Jun 2003, 19:47
And if any passenger/hijacker is built like a brick outhouse and learning marshal arts, then we'll REALLY be in trouble!!! :ouch: :}

Won't need to steal the flight crew's gun then!! :eek:

Touch'n'oops
5th Jun 2003, 03:52
I would think that if someone came at you with a big shiny axe, you would prefer the broken bottle approach.

You can´t hack too well with a broken bottle!!!

As for finding out where the axe is! I doubt it would take much asking!!:eek:

So if your worries are with Jacky Chan terrorist! Why take a poor old lady´s nail clippers!!! Why use nail clippers when there is an axe???

Terrorist don´t get any ideas please!

Onan the Clumsy
5th Jun 2003, 05:05
A pax could equally grab a bottle of wine, smash it & use it as a weapon.
...yes, but only if they were from Scotland ...or Liverpool

Pilotage
5th Jun 2003, 14:56
Maybe somebody should run a register of security cleared martial arts instructors and give them automatic 1st class upgrades so that they're between the riff-raff and flight deck.

P

In a completely unbiassed manner having formerly been security cleared and helps teach Karate once a week. Although defence against an axe or bottle in an airline cabin has never been on any syllabus I've seen. Mind you, it's arguably a fair modern equivalent of the more traditional "defending yourself against a man on a horse using a rice flail".

Capt Stephen Hawking
8th Jun 2003, 07:35
Hello, this is Captain Stephen Hawkins. Touch ´n´oops, before the axe can be used, you need to have the appropriate type rating on ´The use of an axe´. It can often be found behind a secret panel in the toilets, indicated by a huge neon sign saying ´SECRET AXE COMPARTMENT, WARNING: CAN AID HIJACKINGS´. Where the hell do you think it is kept? Ignoramus.

Gerund
8th Jun 2003, 14:35
Must be kept out of sight? I have looked in the CATs and CARs and can't find any reference to the axe being kept out of sight. Ours is tucked into the pocket in the back of the co-pilot's seat.

The handle pokes out, but at least the shiny bit is hidden away, so any potential hijacker might think it is actually a rice-flail instead of an axe. That's a relief.

As long as he doesn't have a horse too!:D

Pilotage
8th Jun 2003, 19:45
No, the man on the horse usually has a sword, the peasant is defending himself with a rice flail. I'm a bare hands bod myself - on the whole they are usually sharper than modern airline cutlery.

Mind you, anybody trying to take a horse on board an airliner without permission could reasonably be regarded as acting suspiciously.

Serious thought, the floatation device cunningly disguised as a seat cushion on the majority of airliners whilst having little or no offensive capacity would probably stop any kind of sharp weapon quite well. a few people holding seat cushions in front of them could pin down somebody armed with a knife / bottle / bad attitude quite effectively with little or no risk to themselves.

P

Gerund
8th Jun 2003, 20:28
I think it is time we turned this thread into a film. We'd all make a fortune!!

VS-075
9th Jun 2003, 05:02
well it seems you are out to hijack a plane how many times have you asked this question why not bring your own axe i think you should be traced and locked up now. :*

Touch'n'oops
10th Jun 2003, 06:42
VS-075 I think you have heard this before "Eeeeasy!!!"

And Mr Hawkins, YOU'VE GOT ISSUES!