PDA

View Full Version : G.A.P.A.N. Results of recruitment survey.

Alberts Growbag
3rd Jun 2003, 04:49
I may be behind the times here, but the following link may be of interest to many.

http://www.gapan.org/career/survey.htm

In other words, unless your absolutely barmey, go and be an accountant!!

Chuffer Chadley
3rd Jun 2003, 16:51
Hmmmmm.....

What's all this about completing Jet Intro Courses before joining airlines? What is it? Are we meant to pay for it ourselves? Is it something we were calling something else? How much does one cost?

Sounds expensive to me. Bit of luck that we've all got bottomless pits of money to dip into for stuff like that, eh!

Ciao
CC

P T Flea
3rd Jun 2003, 23:53
It is most commonly referred to as a JOC (Jet Orientation Course) not to be mistaken with a JOT (Jet Orientation Training) that is offered by Oxford on their APP course.

It is basically a course carried out in a jet simulator (FNPT2) that familiarises you with the handling characteristics and performance of a jet aircraft.

They are usually always required to be carried out before the type rating is started.

There is a list in LASORS of the JOC courses that also encorporate the MCC material (also most usually a pre-requisite).

CTC in Southampton and BAE in Jerez are a couple of places that spring to mind that offer a JOC.

PT

Seven Squared
4th Jun 2003, 02:57
Interesting reading.

It mentions that a few airlines require a university education.
I looked about and didn't find any off hand.

Anyone know which airlines DO require a degree?

Northern Highflyer
4th Jun 2003, 19:14
None that I know of.

It has been mentioned in other threads that a Degree may help in the selection process for sponsorship but as for qualified people applying for RHS jobs a degree doesn't offer any advantage.

Experience, personality and determination are all far more important.

P T Flea
4th Jun 2003, 20:21
It mentions that a few airlines require a university education.

I don't believe it does.

Six of the seven airlines which responded to the survey preferred or required an education up to university entrance level; ‘A’ levels or their equivalent.

I can't see anything mentioned about airlines preferring newly qualified applicants to have degrees.

PT

scroggs
5th Jun 2003, 04:54
This is a snapshot of a very small number of airlines' opinions in today's trading climate. Very few of the conclusions presented would have held true in the year 2000, and, if there is anything that can be said with certainty, it is that these criteria will change with the market!

Another point to bear in mind is that the 'ideal candidate wish-lists' presented by this paper may well have been drawn up by HR departments rather than flight ops departments. At the end of the day, it's usually pilots that select pilots, both at interview and in the simulator, and few of those doing the selecting will be ticking HR-approved boxes when they assess you! As an example, the impression given that candidates over 30 have little or no hope is not born out by experience over the past many years - it might be true this week, but next week is another story.

The bottom line is: don't take this survey as the final word on the subject. Remember that the qualities displayed by the successfully-recruited pilot have changed little over the past 20 years, and have been covered ad infinitum in these pages! Use this information as just another entry in your database of relevant information.

Scroggs

tonyblair
5th Jun 2003, 05:31
All very valid advice Scroggs (as usual). Interesting to hear though from airlines (at whatever level) rather than flight school salesmen about the 'where to train' and 'modular vs. integrates' questions.

Re-enforces my decision to take WWW's advice and save money rather than pay some of the inflated integrated prices charged by certain schools dressed up as something extra.

High Wing Drifter
5th Jun 2003, 06:22
As an example, the impression given that candidates over 30 have little or no hope is not born out by experience over the past many years - it might be true this week, but next week is another story.
Indeed. I have to say that the ONLY low houred pilots that I have known to get jobs recently are fast approaching 30 or have passed it (one was 41)! For me the only thing the GAPAN survey indicates is that the level of confusion concerning the state of the market was grossly underestimated.

Seven Squared
5th Jun 2003, 16:11
PT Flea

In the question 6 comment it says:

The use of education tests by three airlines, which demand university level education as an entry standard

Which I thought was odd, as I don't know of one airline, let alone three, that require a uni level education. :confused: