PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference???

Kempus
3rd Jun 2003, 03:03
hey folks,

this may be a silly question but whats the difference between gaining your ATPL as a self improver or to do it modular?

I mean, where are they different?

Cheers!

Kempus

Luke SkyToddler
3rd Jun 2003, 06:21
Oooohhhh ... about £30,000 :rolleyes:

Obs cop
3rd Jun 2003, 06:46
The old self improver route of getting 700 hours etc. has now become the modular course. Ie. get PPL, hours build for 100 hours or so, do night rating followed by ME/CPL/IR which when totalling 200 hours with exams gets you a shiny fATPL.

Depending on training establishments, time, ability, weather etc. £25-£40,000

The other route is Integrated, basically full time course for 13 to 15 months. Anything from £60-£70,000.

FlyingForFun
3rd Jun 2003, 16:10
Obs cop has eluded to the fact that you seem to have your terminology slightly mixed up, although he didn't quite come out and say it explicitly.

"Self improver" no longer exists. Your choice now is "integrated" or "modular". There is absolutely no difference in the license you will get from these two courses. The main difference is the price - integrated is more expensive. Apart from that, I had a go at listing some of the other differences on this thread (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91305) yesterday.

FFF
-----------------

Kempus
3rd Jun 2003, 19:24
Hi!

Thanks for the replies guys! Was speaking to a couple of guys at work who got where they are by doing it as a self improver. Should've asked there and then what the difference was but my attention moved to the football stadium in Seville when we passed it 36,000ft, what a sight!!!!

Anywho, does anyone know if by doing a modular course you can get those claimed benefits of airline type enviroment and maybe, just maybe be refered to an airline if say like doin modular at OAT?

All comments welcome even those which say its in this thread cos i cant find it!

Thanks guys!

Kempus

cfb
5th Jun 2003, 05:50
Kempus
Many choose the Modular route as it enables them to train in sync with their ability to raise the required funds.
What is clear is that the Modular route can cost quite a lot less than Integrated, and result in rather more actual flight hours logged by the time you finish.
If you have the funds available, you can also replicate an Integrated course within a Modular approach.
1) Full time PPL - 1 month (approx 50 hours)
2) Full time ATPL theoretical study - 6 months
3) Full time hours building including night rating (approx 100 hours – 2 months max)
4) CPL / ME / IR back to back (approx 84 hours 2 ½ months)

With safety time and breaks etc this can work out at around 13 months, 230 hours total time and approx £45,000 + accomodation etc.
Today, the Airlines are rather less concerned with where you trained, and rather more interested in your total hours (especially multi), and whether you achieved high grades at ATPL, plus a first time (series) pass at the IR.

cfb