PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted on Tayflight, Perth, and AFT Exeter...

Haul By Cable
2nd Jun 2003, 21:33
I have already used the search function but I was wondering if anyone had more recent experience of these schools with regards to Multi CPL/IR training? (Search material was mostly well over a year old).

Would you use them again?

Any snippets will help...

Thank you,

Haul.

gdnhalley
3rd Jun 2003, 03:56
HBC
I am doing my IR at Tayflite at the moment, having done my CPL with them in March. Obviously I don't any first hand experience of other commercial training organisations, but I have had some experience of other FTO's here and in the USA and Canada since 1990.
The fact that I returned for my IR speaks for itself, although Tayflite are very convenient (30 minutes) for travel. I would not have returned if I had not been happy with the set up.
If you want to know more send me a PM.
good luck
gdn

Sky Goose
3rd Jun 2003, 23:16
am busy converting FAA CPL to JAA ATPL,

completed the CPL conversion, and Multi rating with AFT, was very happy with them, (I even managed to pass first time!)

Will be returning for the IR conversion.

Very laid back crowd, but very experienced, (Ex military and airline captains).
Another reassuring point is that you dont pay anything upfront, only once youve passed the test. Which was nice to know, as I nearly got burned when my ATPL ground school went bust !.

Hope that helps.

Haul By Cable
4th Jun 2003, 01:36
Thanks Sky Goose, and gdnhalley I've taken you up on your offer - check your PMs.

Sky Goose, how did you find converting from FAA? Would you mind telling me where in the US you did your CPL/IR?

Thanks again, does any one else have any comments?

Cheers,

Haul.

Sky Goose
4th Jun 2003, 16:44
Did my CPL/IR in Chicago, at DuPage Airport (KDPA) with an outfit called American Flyers.

The most difficulty im having is with the RT (radio), there are quite a few differences from the US phraseology, but the flying part is not too bad.

In the US there is quite a bit more general handeling in the CPL (eg. turns around pylons, chandels, lazy 8's and a few others), whereas there is only one traffic patern to fly (in the US) as apposed to the 4 here in the UK (flapless, low level, gliding and normal).

All in all Id say if you passed the US skills test for the CPL you wont have too many hassles with the JAA one.

I havent done the IR skills test here, but should be done by the end of the month. By my reconing if you can do an FAA IR for around £3500,- plus the £4000,- for the JAA conversion you could still possibly save a few grand on the JAA IR which will set you back around £10 000,-

The FAA writtens are a doddle compared to the JAA ones, which doesent really help as you have to do the JAA ATPL writtens either way, and they really are a drag !

cheers for now

SG

oskar
4th Jun 2003, 23:23
i have had experience with school in scotland and i would not reccommend them, i do not know much bout aft except that it could be a better choice