PDA

View Full Version : Career Progression

MacGriffyn
2nd Jun 2003, 05:16
I am just beginning in the US airlline industry. After another year or more, I should be flying as a Regional airline f/o. I have heard from friends and family about how their times in the industry have gone...but I would like to have another couple of opinions.

I'm 29 years old. I eventually want to be flying international/ long haul routes. (I have spent the past decade in the army, so the family separation thing isn't that big of a deal. It couldn't be worse than what I've been through already).

Is there a progression that a pilot should follow if he/she wants to fly internationally? Do I bid for certain routes or certain aircraft when I first get to an airline? Is there a certain person within the airline that I talk to to get onto the longer routes? Is there something that I should do to better prepare for longer routes, and therefore get them?

Should I aim for certain airlines...or away from others? What are some of the experiences that you have had? How did you get to fly over the oceans?

Sorry to sound naive, but I am just beginning. Once again, I appreciate any advice or wisdom.

K

GlueBall
2nd Jun 2003, 10:05
If I were you I wouldn't turn down employment with a carrier like South West or Jet Blue ...just because they don't operate "Int'L Long Haul."

But at every U.S. airline everybody every month gets to fill out a "dreamsheet." Seniority rules. If pilots senior to you don't feel like flying to Hong Kong next month, then you get it.

Unless you're going to be a management pilot, there is nothing that you can do to "prepare yourself," or to "talk to someone" in order to be assigned to fly International long haul trips across the oceans....

:{

letsrock2019
11th Jun 2003, 23:14
minimum requirements in the USA are : 5000h, 1000h on type (jet),...and you will be in a line with thousand of extra qualified pilots waiting for a job.