PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Communications And Reporting System

ben123
2nd Jun 2003, 00:50
Hello everyone, I was given this question in a recent exam;

Q) The flight crew is informed of an incoming message on the ARINC Communication Addressing and Reporting System via the :-

a) the ‘on side’ VHF receiver
b) Selective calling (SELCAL) system
c) Engine Indicating and Crew Alerting system

My college notes state that the ACARS has it own IDU and sometimes optional printer, which would make none of these answers correct. I was hoping someone could use there experiance to help me out on this question.

Thankyou for your help, Ben

ETOPS
2nd Jun 2003, 05:32
I can only speak for the Boeing 777 but it would be answer c) EICAS.

When we receive an ACARs message it is noted on the upper central EICAS as "COMM" if the message needs displaying/answering or as "PRINTER" if the message is being printed. There is a tone as well to bring your attention to the screen........

BlueEagle
2nd Jun 2003, 07:50
Same in the B747-400, it shows on the EICAS with a chime sound.
(If it is a message in response to weather request then without the chime).

Notso Fantastic
2nd Jun 2003, 17:10
Isn't ARINC different to ACARS? We used to talk to Arinc over N. America with details to pass on to destination. ACARS is automatic data transmission/reception. So ARINC is VHF........or am I way outta date?

mono
2nd Jun 2003, 19:35
Just a small point,

ARINC - Air Radio INCorporated assigns among other things radio frequency allocation and SELCAL codes

ACARS Airborne Communication Addressing and Reporting System - for the transmission of data whilst airborne, such as weather, amended plogs, routes, maintenance data, passenger data, etc.