PDA

View Full Version : SODA for colour vision?

Blinkz
2nd Jun 2003, 00:37
sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I was wondering if someone could kindly give me any information about the SODA which you can get if you fail the colour vision test for the FAA. I'm going to have the CAA tests at the end of june but am thinking about going to the states if I can't get a CAA class1 medical.

any info welcome. cheers.

Keygrip
2nd Jun 2003, 12:14
Blinkz,

Can I suggest an e-mail to Dr. Rubin at [email protected]

Dr Rubin is an authorised CAA AME for JAA Class 1 medical renewals, an FAA AME for Class 1 medical issues and an opthamologist.

There is little that this man doesn't know about JAA medical, FAA medical and eye balls.

I'm sure he will be able to advise you on the simplicity of a SODA test.

Best of luck.

slim_slag
4th Jun 2003, 09:26
You go to a Class D airport with a friendly FAA inspector (not medically qualified) and stand at the end of the runway, but not where you might get in the way. FAA inspector calls tower and they shine the light gun at you a few times. If you can correctly tell whether the light is red/green/white he writes you the SODA. Show the SODA to the doc at your medical and they will not even bother testing your colour vision.

Blinkz
11th Jun 2003, 02:00
so how far are you usually from the tower? and how bright at the lights they shine to you?

Limey
15th Jun 2003, 07:29
Not very far (from memory a couple of hundred feet out on the main ramp), light is bright but best if you get a cloudy or overcast day as that makes it easier to distinguish