PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Headset wiring?

Tree
31st May 2003, 05:08
Hi everyone;
I am re-wiring a headset to enable use of the Airbus XLR connector. I would like to know the pin numbers for the microphone and headphone wires.
Thanks in advance.

woderick
1st Jun 2003, 01:19
pin

1 = Audio Hi
2 = Audio Lo
3 = Mic Hi
4 = Mic Lo
5 = NC

A320 SSM 23-51-00 :ok:

ECAM This
1st Jun 2003, 04:58
Fella's. Remember, that head set is certified in the same manner as any other aircraft part.

Rewireing will lead to the loss of the headsets certification and WILL result in action taken against the Aircraft's commander if a communications failure is found to be the result of that modified headset.

You're safer to purchase the adaptor, which is available at many locations worldwide.

FYI...I do not, and will not, allow modified equipment to be used on my ship.

"What could possibly go wrong?"

Tree
2nd Jun 2003, 03:19
Thanks very much woderick. The headset is working fine.

To: ECAM This

I have noted your opinon.

Happy trails,
Tree

jet4hire
2nd Jun 2003, 04:27
Do you ever supervised your fellow pilot head set???
or do you work for the FAA or any other authority

Thanks!:cool:

avioniker
2nd Jun 2003, 22:08
Having a few extra cents available, here's my two...
While there are impedance standards for headsets and amplifier outputs, they are not always the same, aircraft-to-aircraft. Thus the certification requirement and the different plugs.
One of the biggest causes of "squealing" headsets is use of privately owned headsets bought at a discount from one of the many places that'll sell you such.
If the impedance is too low you'll burn out the amplifier in the interphone system and the first symptom of an amp going south is a squeal. Having too low an impedance is like trying to fill a lake with a thimble. The amp will keep pumping until it has nothing left to pump.
Use the headsets as provided or get an appropriate adapter. Don't aggrivate the avionics techs with writeups they can't duplicate when they show up with the correct equipment after you've been using your modded stuff.

Tree
3rd Jun 2003, 00:51
Thanks for the information and opinions. This has grown much larger than I ever imagined!

FYI: The Headset and application is fully certified/compatible/approved/legal etc. and has been for over 15 years. The plug and other components used are the highest quality and aircraft approved/certified. The person doing the wiring is a licenced and experienced (35+years) aircraft technician............ darn; he used leaded solder to connect the plug! Got to run, my house is surrounded by strange looking unemployed people in Zodiacs saying something about poisoning the airwaves. Timber!

Tree

QAVION
3rd Jun 2003, 11:40
"The person doing the wiring is a licenced and experienced (35+years) aircraft technician............"

So how come you're asking us for the pin numbers for the microphone and headphone wires? Shouldn't this "technician" of yours already know this sort of stuff?

Regards.
Q.

Tree
4th Jun 2003, 00:09
Negative Qavion.

He has only worked on Lockheed/Boeing/Douglas products (and done a mighty fine job from my observations). Possibly you don't know that Airbus is "different" and uses a different plug/wiring than the rest of the world. It is a very good plug/jack but it is different and it is very difficult to get the (any) technical information from Airbus Industrie.

G'day mate,
Tree