PDA

View Full Version : Delays at EGCC on 28 May

Honiley1R
31st May 2003, 01:40
Arriving at EGCC on Wednesday was not going to be easy, I know. I follow the back pages and knew very well what I was going to be in for at 3pm that day. Having eventually left TNT and got me feet on the ground, I was then held up for almost 20 minutes ay J10 whilst a regional and I looked each other in the eye between one of the longest ever queues I have seen to cross 24R at Delta 1!! Having parked, I noticed that two aircraft were blocking Foxtrot. Golf seemed closed too. Why, when there were still some empty stands??? Was anybody else affected?

Perhaps a kind EGCC ground opps could enlighted me?

Having said that, seemed to be some great work going on. Well done guys and gals!

Spiney Norman
31st May 2003, 03:09
As one of the ATCO's working that day I think the simple answer was that there were 200+ aircraft on the ground for the Champions league final. 840 for the day, and, I believe around 1000 movements from 0600 (28th) til 0600 (29th). There was a parking plan devised to group aircraft to facilitate their departure after the game, and this meant that the taxiway system was greatly restricted. D being the only practical crossing point for 24L departures. As you'll have noticed, on minimum spacing on approach, this means one down-one to cross. I would guess that the two free stands you saw were earmarked for particular aircraft due to size. Although the figures for movements I've mentioned wouldn't be a big deal for Heathrow, we just don't have the same space. From our point of view things went pretty well on the whole and hopefully you weren't held too long considering the extraordinary day we were having. We definately enjoyed ourselves!

Spiney :ok:

iamtheone
1st Jun 2003, 16:07
You should have seen Barton!!! :mad: