PDA

View Full Version : New airline: "Dreamcatcher Airways"?

PAX richi
30th May 2003, 00:54
A friend of mine was contacted last week by an agency looking for staff for a new, start-up airline.

They're calling themselves "Dreamcatcher", and say that they're planning to start flying from the UK to the Carribean and India in November. Operating "a few" 747s, the emphasis is on quality service for all, big legroom, and (get this) low fares.

Anyone know anything about them? Sounds like an odd time to be starting a new company. ;)

r.

Hot Rod
30th May 2003, 01:34
It might not at all be "an odd time to start a new company". I guess you get aircraft and crew almost for free...

MerchantVenturer
30th May 2003, 03:10
I have never heard of this proposed airline but perhaps the clue is in the name.:)

brabazon
30th May 2003, 19:14
So is it real or fantasy? A quick Google search brought up references to a Stephen King horror story - an odd choice of name it would seem.

huw stunn
30th May 2003, 23:04
India ??? I don't think so.

If VS can't get any more scheduled slots how do Dreamcatcher Airways reckon they will be able to ? Could be charters I suppose

Maybe they can replace BeeWee if they go under.

go flyer down the back
31st May 2003, 11:36
is it not european air charter s 747 s

Bumz_Rush
31st May 2003, 16:05
I would like Dreamcatcher to add Freeport Grand Bahamas to it promise destinations......
I beleive the black tail 747 might be the equipment proposed.
I made a business plan for this destination recently, but took it no further, (pun!!!!!).
If Dreamcatcher would like any input into certain destination, please PM me....

PAX richi
2nd Jun 2003, 01:02
OK, here's the thing: the agency isn't one for regular airline personnel. It seems that Dreamcatcher are planning to offer in-flight massage, etc. (sounds similar to Virgin J class). The agency is connected with "seated" (i.e. accupressure) massage.

Bearing this in mind, and looking at the routes, my first thought was that this was actually a recruiting excercise for Virgin, but they didn't want anyone to know that they were (re-)starting these routes.

However, the agency were categorical that it wasn't Virgin, or any other established carrier. They also said that Dreamcatcher planned to offer massage in all classes!

Oh, and Hotdowntheback is right: this thread shouldn't have been moved out of R&N.

Any moderator listening agree with us???

r.

no, no, no
10th Jun 2003, 21:13
has anyone heard anything new about this dream-catcher? I have heard from a source that a few Caribbean islands are interested in negotiating with them to get more pax to their islands. It would be similar to the healthy marketing support Tobago and Granada gave VS to start flights......

The caribbean does make sense as there seems to be an opening for new services, but I would have thought that this would be ideal for an existing carrier with a good service to start up as I know that I always like a bit more comfort on long services instead of being crammed in which is what this sounds like doing.... VS are on about expanding their services, or even bmi who are still looking for something to do with their A330's - they could even start new direct services from MAN where there is a lack of Caribbean services.

India though, as huw stun pointed out, would be a big no-no. The Indian authorites won't even talk to anyone about more scheduled rights to travel between the UK and India unless Air India can get more LHR slots (which is not going to happen) so how do they think that they woud be able to get slots - unless they are funded by an influential Indian firm which I find hard to beleive!!!

Unless of course BA are planning to create an off-shoot which will not have the same product as BA, but will cram as many pax in as poss to high volume long-haul places??? Then India would be no problem!!!!!:suspect: :suspect:

PAX richi
10th Jun 2003, 21:23
being crammed in which is what this sounds like doing....
not have the same product as BA, but will cram as many pax in as poss
That's not what she was told -- the info. was that DC would have good seat pitch and premium service throughout the bus.

Oh, and the fares would be low. Shome mishtake, shurely? :confused:

r.

no, no, no
10th Jun 2003, 21:31
good seat pitch..... compared to what though!!!! If its compared to charters then that isn't hard.

a premium service for low fares does sound a bit far fetched though, unless they are hoping to make a bit of extra money with these seat massages etc that you mentioned - unless these too will be free.......

If they are starting in November though then they aren't allowing themselves much lead-in selling time. A lot of Caribbean holidays have already been sold by this point. An April start would be more realistic, although then you miss out on the prized winter months....

Psr777
11th Jun 2003, 21:05
Unless of course BA are planning to create an off-shoot which will not have the same product as BA, but will cram as many pax in as poss to high volume long-haul places???

:p :p :p

Ever heard of AML? That is precisely what we operated. A 777 with 355 in economy in cramped seating, with 28 in Club world. BA asked us to deliver a BA product that was slightly altered to accommodate the extra pax.

The cabin crew also operated a slightly altered layover pattern that was hugely cheaper than BA could do and for 5 years we had a good time. All the promises of new routes, and the new LGW leisure BA !!!

The decision was made to restructure the routes with mainline crew offering a mainline service, with mainline seating!!!!! It was the right thing to do. Rod Eddington is a big believer in BA being a premium product and a mainline product. Quite rightly pax travelling on a BA route should recieve a BA product.

I personally do no believe that BA will go down the route of owning or promoting a competing product. They have already been burned. The termination of the AML contract increased operating costs by a lot and they had to answer to a number of shareholders for the decision. However, to protect the brand......

Good times whilst it lasted though, cheers! :ok: :ok: