PDA

View Full Version : Westflight

Rote 8
28th May 2003, 17:07
I am considering Westflight, amongst a few others as a potential school for my CPL, and also for doing some pre CPL hourbuilding by following their structured hourbuilding programme. I gather that the school was formed by some of the OAT Modular instructors at the time when OAT moved their modular training outfit back to Oxford from Gloucester. However they are not amongst the list of schools that are regularly discussed on these pages. I have performed a search and it was largely fruitless. Are there any folks out there that have done some flying with these guys that would like to share the benefit of their experience, I am particularly interested in the views of anyone who has undertaken their structured programme of hourbuilding. If you would prefer not to make any comments publicly then please feel free to send me an e-mail. My address is within my profile.

Cheers

Cirius
30th May 2003, 20:21
Rote8,

I have recently done my MEP class rating and IR with WestFlight and can confirm that the school has been founded by ex OATS Modular Instructors.

I cannot provide any specific information about the structured hour building programmme as this was not something that I actually did other than to say that the idea is to give yourself a headstart when you come to do your CPL course my attempting to mimic some of the exercises that you will do during your CPL course and subsequently be tested on for your CPL GFT.

As far as the CPL course itself is concerned, nearly all schools initially use a Warrior then transition to the Arrow for your last 5 or 10 hours. In my opinion, WestFlight give you a superior offering by conducting all 25 hrs of the course on the Arrow and the price differential compared to other schools is very competitive.

As far as my personal experiences are concerned, I have absolutely no qualms about recommending WestFlight as I have received the best one-to-one instruction that I have ever encountered since I starting flying. In addition, at a personal level, I lost my job after I had started the course and this caused me considerable financial problems - however, the schools was exceedingly understanding and permitted me to continue on the understanding that I would pay back the money that I owed once I was able to do so. Not many schools would have done that!

Finally, I would suggest that you draw up a shortlist of schools that you are interested in and visit each of them in turn. Once you have done this, I think you will form an opinion on which one is 'right' for you.

Hope the above helps.

Snigs
31st May 2003, 17:43
I fly from the same airfield as Westflight and have heard about them. The man behind it is Chris Brooks, he's dedicated and determined to provide a value for money package and not appear to fleece you like some unmentionable places.

Their package seems to be very well organised and structured to give you quality time in the air, a thing that potential employers would be pleased to hear I'm sure.

Give them a call on 01452 857775 and get them to send you a brochure.

And as for Gloucester airport, imho it's the best GA airfield in the country. :ok:

firepig
5th Jun 2003, 06:37
ROTE8
I've only just seen this thread on Westflight.
Their HOT is Mark Bills (ex OATS Gloucester and Oxford) must be one of the best Instructors around.
I did my CPL / ME / IR with them, straight through, best instruction I ever got - followed by a 1st time IR.

Firepig

Rote 8
5th Jun 2003, 18:05
Thanks guys for your input. If the weather is kind on Saturday I will fly down to Gloucester and take a look around.

Cheers