PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet - Not enough EDI International routes?

Joe Curry
27th May 2003, 13:21
SNP transport spokesman, Kenny MacAskil, hit out at Easyjet
yesterday. This from the Edinburgh Evening News:

Read it here (http://www.edinburghnews.com/business.cfm?id=591332003)

billyg
27th May 2003, 16:22
I believe that it was EZYs lack of Scottish, International, low-cost routes in general that he was on about, not just those from EDI. BAA are to build a new low-cost pier at GLA, so I assume, when it is completed, that the BAA will attempt to attract more lo-co airlines to operate flights from Glasgow !

JKP505
27th May 2003, 19:54
Well there is absolutely no chance of easyJet operating more international flights from EDI, considering they just opened their NCL base this year, which has become the most successful regional base EZY has opened, based on launch figures.

Anyway NCL has always managed to scrape would-be EDI traffic, especially charter traffic and since EZY operate mostly to leisure routes, more potential EDI traffic will go to NCL.

MerchantVenturer
27th May 2003, 20:33
JKP505,

Glad to hear the NCL base is going well.

It is difficult to compare start-ups though because LPL commenced in the very early years of the easyJet venture and BRS was started by Go.

I did read a post on a financial forum from an easyJet pilot who said that LPL and BRS were easyJet's two most profitable bases.
From what you say NCL will be challenging strongly to overtake them.

Aviation Trainer too
27th May 2003, 20:38
This is the kind of politics you'd expect in Russia or China..... or maybe France... Let's face it not enough Pax willing to pay enough... no flights!! Simple as that..

nef
27th May 2003, 22:14
I don't really see that myself - the population of central Scotland must be pretty similar to that of the NCL area. Additionally, I would have thought that Scotland, and EDI in particular, would be more of a draw for incoming tourists than Newcastle (no offence to NCL residents!).

I can see that easy's NCL ops don't bode that well for future EDI services though.

GrahamK
28th May 2003, 03:33
Also, I know a lot of Scots from my area anyway, prefer to fly from NCL because its easier to get to...

bmibaby.com
28th May 2003, 04:28
I'd just be very interested to know whether the business model of using high-density aircraft (Boeing 757) on long mediterranean routes (like the canaries) is working out for air scotland?
How are they filling their aircraft?
Is the airline's ideas financially viable?
What do local people think of this new operation?
What is service like?

JKP505
28th May 2003, 05:45
NCL could draw as many tourist pax as EDI I would say, when you take into consideration the Newcastle Gateshead culture bid, plus its rating as one of the top ten party capitals in the World. Plus it has always been extremely popular with Scandinavian tourists.

Mouser
28th May 2003, 06:08
As big a tourist draw as EDI, top ten party capital in the WORLD , Easyjets bestest airport, dream on!

MerchantVenturer
28th May 2003, 06:14
JKP505,

I'm looking forward to road testing the new easyJet service to NCL from BRS in September to try out the delights of Newcastle's tourist areas. Too old for clubbing and we shall be there in the daytime anyway.

I think Newcastle/Gatehead might win the 2008 Culture bid. It's a sore point down here that Newcastle was allowed to bid jointly with its neighbour Gateshead (which I appreciate is only across the river) but Bristol and Bath (very close neighbouring cities with little 'green countryside' between) were prevented from so doing.

Anyway I hope the NCL-BRS U2 service turns out to be a raging success. At least it will have no competition now that BACx is pulling out.

Apologies for going slightly off topic.

Joe Curry
28th May 2003, 22:54
>>I believe that it was EZYs lack of Scottish, International, low-cost routes in general that he was on about, not just those from EDI. BAA are to build a new low-cost pier at GLA, so I assume, when it is completed, that the BAA will attempt to attract more lo-co airlines to operate flights from Glasgow !<<

They do already! From Glasgow Prestwick International... I doubt any airline would dare compete against Ryanair flying from Abbotsinch, low-cost pier or not.

Did you read the article Billy? I don't think Abbotsinch was mentioned?

This low cost pier, it will be the longest in the world, stretching
all the way to EDI? :E :E :E

As for UK Party Capitals, Edinburgh was recently placed number 3
behind London and Blackpool.:p

Add to that the fact that Edinburgh is number 2 UK tourist
and finance centre behind London.

Kenny MacAskil was quite right to question Easyjet.

In fact if BAA had not been so GLA-centric the NCL base would
have gone to EDI.:ok:

Clear right!
29th May 2003, 00:44
Joe, Kenny MacAskil was not right to question easyJet. easyJet is a private company, not a charity.

Joe Curry
29th May 2003, 01:11
>>Joe, Kenny MacAskil was not right to question easyJet. easyJet is a private company, not a charity.<<

'Question' was a bad description on my part. 'Criticise' might be more appropiate'

Easyjet are indeed a private company, a company out to make
money. Their decision not to use EDI as a base was a total
mystery...Should MacAskil be taking BAA to task..were they insisting on GLA instead of EDI.?

Why aren't BAA building a low-cost pier at EDI?

The airport consistently outperforms GLA and is BAA's Scottish
top performer.

I reckon BAA are seriously worried by the threat to their monopoly from Glasgow politicians and they
are pulling out all stops to force new traffic into GLA.

I reckon Mackaskil's outburst is a signal from the east that they
too also suspicious of BAA's failure to attract new routes.

The recent 19% discount, exclusive to GLA, is proof of the BAA
panic.... :suspect:

GroupCaptain
29th May 2003, 04:01
I'm somewhat confused by the suggestion that a new low cost pier at GLA would attract more low cost flights. GLA already has a low cost pier - a run down but adequate affair that used to host international flights prior to the construction of the new international pier. What could be more "low cost" than that?

Surely if BAA opt to provide a new low cost pier, it will cost money and that investment will require to be funded by increasing the charges to existing and potential low cost operators. Furthermore, if BAA provides a brand new facility for the low cost operators, the existing non loco customer base might look for some discounts (like the locos get right now) in light of them then operating from older facilities?

nef
29th May 2003, 04:31
"Did you read the article Billy? I don't think Abbotsinch was mentioned?"

If you read the snp's press release here (http://www.snp.org/html/news/newsdetail.php?newsID=1184), you'll see that EDI, GLA, ABZ and INV are all explicitly mentioned. The EEN only mentions EDI as this is what's relevant to their readers, the Evening Times mentions only GLA cause that's what's relevant to theirs etc. (before you start, we all know your view on the Evening Times: rabble rousing bla bla bla.........etc)

"In fact if BAA had not been so GLA-centric the NCL base would
have gone to EDI."

I take it you can prove this?

GroupCaptain
29th May 2003, 04:54
Quite so, nef.

BAA cannot be accused of being GLA centric given their clear bias to build EDI traffic where they have no competition (OK, OK there's NCL in the next country). GLA has competition only a few miles away and simply cannot hack it. Consider the European scheduled routes PIK against GLA... PIK has many more than GLA. Take Edinburgh based flyglobespan.com - operates EDI and PIK not GLA (other than a PMI route traditionally served by their charter operation).

Rob_L
30th May 2003, 15:34
If there is the potential for so much low cost out of Scotland then surely Air Scotia has to be the answer. Why wait for an Irish or Anglo-Greek airline (taramasalataJet) to make all the profit.

30th May 2003, 17:21
GLA is always going to suffer from being on the wrong side of the city. It's much easier (although considerably further) for most people in central Scotland (including those from the eastern districts of the City of Glasgow) to get to EDI.

Joe Curry
31st May 2003, 18:09
>>I take it you can prove this?<<

Can you disprove it?:confused:

>>GLA is always going to suffer from being on the wrong side of the city. It's much easier (although considerably further) for most people in central Scotland (including those from the eastern districts of the City of Glasgow) to get to EDI.<<

And vice-versa? One of the reasons why folk from Scotland's
eastern seaboard are reluctant to fly from GLA?

The main objection appears to be that EDI is more convenient/accessible and folk are determined not to be herded
past/from the perfectly useable airport in Scotland's economic heartland.

I feel sorry for the TX tourists who have to endure surface
transfers to Edinburgh, blissfully unaware it has an airport.

Most of all I feel sorry for the Scottish pax who have to endure
surface transport to GLA, PIK, MAN, NCL because the flights
and packages are not available more conveniently from EDI.

kriskross
31st May 2003, 23:49
Always seems to me, that when I go to EDI, there is never enough space for all the aircraft, and delays build up trying to get into and out of the ASP, and with the departures from Charlie, even worse if a back track is required.

nef
1st Jun 2003, 01:00
>>Can you disprove it?<<

Childish! Ever heard the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" Are you claiming that everything that cannot be 100% disporved is therefore true? What a silly response!

Several people in the know on this forum (and on other forums/newsgroups) have told you your conspiracy theories are unfounded, yet you still insist on incessantly dragging every post on this forum regarding Scottish aviation back to the same tired and discredited arguments. :rolleyes:

As for convenience. I live a lot further "east" (and North) than you do, and I've had more trouble recently in getting over the Forth bridge when using EDI, than I've had with the Kingston bridge when using GLA. The increasing Traffic congestion in and around Edinburgh is causing problems. Mind you, I suppose that we would have a second Forth bridge etc if it wasn't for the conspiracies of your beloved "west coast mafia":rolleyes: :zzz:

Joe Curry
1st Jun 2003, 02:06
>>As for convenience. I live a lot further "east" (and North) than you do, and I've had more trouble recently in getting over the Forth bridge when using EDI, than I've had with the Kingston bridge when using GLA. <<

Childish response ? or 'Touche' to your version.:mad:

You are of course entitled to use whichever airport turns you on,
Folk might find using GLA is tad bit inconvenient than the
euphoric picture you paint here.

I might bit a bit biased toward EDI but it seems you are totally
paranoid about GLA.

Horses for courses but I'm curious why you find it necessary
to bypass EDI to go to GLA.?

Shouldn't you be supporting your local airport.?:D :D :D

Joe Curry
1st Jun 2003, 03:11
Seems MacAskil is determined about EasyJet.

MacAskil replies (http://www.edinburghnews.com/letters.cfm?id=608432003)

No discredit here.

A letter of support (http://www.edinburghnews.com/letters.cfm?id=608402003)

ecj
1st Jun 2003, 15:25
There are certain times of the day when the number of stands available exceeds the number of stands required.

Good to see the new remote stands being constructed on the east side. This will no doubt help; but can the terminal cope with much more?

Parallel taxiways to the 07/25 thresholds would help overall flow rates. The present arrangements can be less than adequate.

I have found the congestion to be somewhat frustrating at times. Waiting 10+ minutes for a stand to become available. I am sure others have as well.

Resolve the capacity issue, then increase the services: in that order.

KRISKROSS got it right.