PDA

View Full Version : bmibaby cutbacks at EMA?

babydoc
26th May 2003, 05:03
bmibaby isn't taking bookings for BGY, IBZ and MUC out of EMA beyond the middle of July. Have these routes been dropped?

FAO, SZG and GVA have already gone this year...

It wouldn't bode well for Munich and Milan out of CWL either.

An extra rotation is going into BFS.

bmibaby.com
26th May 2003, 06:03
Faro and Geneva both left the route network at the end of the winter season due to increased competition from EasyJet on these routes.
At bmibaby, we have not been informed of any route cuts, but it could be a technical difficulty with our booking system, before we upgraded it there was a lot of crashes, and it could be happening again, it happens to Ryanair at peak times a lot!
As far as I know Salzburg is going to be returning for the winter season as well as the launch of a new Zurich or Wien route apparently.

Hap Hazard
26th May 2003, 06:08
Heard a rumour that the EMB is to go back into EMA?
How many moves in the last year does that it make for the hapless bmi reg crews at their own cost....nice way to run a company.

babydoc
26th May 2003, 07:04
Not as drastic as I first thought.

A couple of booked out flights and some mid-season tinkering by baby.

MUC is down from daily to 4 a week and BGY is down from daily to 5 a week. BFS to get one extra daily rotation. IBZ unchanged.

At least, that what it looks like.

Buster the Bear
26th May 2003, 07:45
Real cheap fares are drying up in East Midlands then! It had to happen, a loss leader for a year or so then...........?

KLM @ucked up Buzz, Daddy could do easyLy do the same?

Once the WDA subs end, Cardiff will be a wasteland!

almost professional
26th May 2003, 18:17
stange thing to say Buster-even the managing director cant get the flights he wants this summer out of EMA-no availability left or costing too much because its the last seat at the back! rumours abound about extra capacity later in the season also, things were bound to slow slightly and be subject to 'tinkering' after a near 100% rise in passengers in a year
we also heard the rumour about the 'pencil' returning, supposed to be doing the brussels flights

MerchantVenturer
27th May 2003, 18:34
Unlike Ryanair and easyJet the load factors of bmibaby never seem to be published, or perhaps I have not been looking in the right place. Whilst I realise that load factors are only a part of the economic story for an airline it would be interesting to know the baby's average load factor.

Re CWL, what sort of subsidy did the WDA give and for how long?

almost professional
27th May 2003, 21:06
based purely on the passenger numbers that we have access to to on a daily basis the loads are pretty good-dropped off a bit at the tail end of the winter but average figures would be 130+for the 737's out of EMA at the moment-certainly the terminal is always heaving!

bmibaby.com
28th May 2003, 04:24
We have seen some real positive changes at East Midlands Airport over the past few years from a traveling passenger perspective.
Having lived in the East Midlands for about 14 years, the airport has always been pretty dead during the winter, and not that exciting during the summer either, with expensive British Midland (then bmi) flights and KLMuk and CityJet constantly coming and going.
Then Go came in last year and the fare war has opened up loads of new routes, expanded competition and as mentioned the terminal is now heaving. In my opinion, the new extension doesnt look too nice on the eye, but its helped to relieve stress at the early morning and mid-afternoon check-in times when it seems there can be a bank of about 5 bmibaby and 4 EasyJet planes plus any chater flights on the ground at once.
But we are getting more routes, hopefully EZY will expand too, and maybe bmibaby will keep getting new ideas and we will continue to expand.