PDA

View Full Version : Brake Temp Warning

RebelDJ
25th May 2003, 07:45
Hopefully my first post on PPRUNE will get me some information.

I am an MSc student doing some research into A/c warning systems. My current topic is the Brake Temp Hot warning.

I have been told that the Boeing & Airbus systems differ in that Boeings monitor the temp in the bay and give a warning to tell the pilot to deploy the gear if its triggered. Airbus, however, monitor the temp of the brake and do not allow retraction if it is over the limit.

Is this correct? What are your opinions on these different systems? What is the effect on turn around times, for instance? Any resource material to recommend?

Thanks for your help ...

QAVION
25th May 2003, 10:53
"I have been told that the Boeing & Airbus systems differ in that Boeings monitor the temp in the bay and give a warning to tell the pilot to deploy the gear if its triggered."

It really depends on what sort of Boeing we are talking about here, RDJ. Some have wheel well fire warning systems and brake temperature monitoring systems. For example, an EICAS advisory message is given for high brake temperatures on an aircraft like the 747-400 and a full EICAS fire warning is given for a wheel well fire (triggered by very high temperatures in the wheel wells). The latter system uses fire loops which run around strategic points in the wheel wells. On a 767, for example, the brake temperature monitoring system appears to be optional. Our airline's 767's have them, others don't. I'm not familiar with other types of Boeings.

Rgds.
Q.

Hand Solo
27th May 2003, 06:33
The A320 series monitors individual brake temps and gives a warning if any brake temperature exceeds 300C. On the ground this will be to switch on the brake fans (if fitted) and delay take of for cooling. In the air it will advise lowering the gear. There is no interlock to prevent the gear being raised with hot brakes.

SAS-A321
27th May 2003, 07:30
Mike Jenvey:
Correct! 23 dec. 1980 only a couple of month after another Saudi Tristar burned at Riyadh Airport killing 301 persons onboard, due to an electric failure locking the doors!!!???

:(