PDA

View Full Version : Worthwhile teaching aids?

Pianorak
24th May 2003, 21:04
I have just had my 5th PPL lesson and am wondering if it's worthwhile investing in some of these additional teaching aids or are they just toys.
VFR RT Communications (Oxford Aviation Training)
Radio Aids Navigation Tutor - CD Rom
VFR Navigation Tutor (VFR Flying CD Rom)
Audio Tapes - PPL Licence Series
AR-108 Maycom Scanner.

Anticipated thanks for any advice.

Keygrip
24th May 2003, 22:09
Fred - you ask a subjective question - so you may get zillions of different answers....but, as you did ask....

OXFORD VFR COMMS - I've heard it. Not bad, bit deep and boring for my taste - I would think that the same cash spent doing some R/T groundschool with your clubs instructors (or R/T examiner!!) may be equally useful.

Why not round up a bunch of like minded students and get the school to do an evening class with you all - much cheaper then (per person).

RANT - apart from the guy who wrote this software, I am probably it's biggest proponent. I think the programme is absolutely brilliant - best, cheapest, most comprehensive device I can think of for radio navigation practice. Having said that, if you are on lesson 5 of your PPL then it is probably too early for you. This is a very advanced programme - and without being shown how to drive it properly - it would probably lose you.

VFR NAV - not seen it, not in a position to give an educated comment on it.

AUDIO TAPES - probably wouldn't do you any harm - especially if you have a tape player in the car - or a walkman for on the bus. Haven't played the tapes myself - but you are bound to get something out of them. Why not.

SCANNER - not familiar with the model. Depends what it will cost you and what you will be able to hear on from where you are using it. Personally (depending just how much of a price difference) I would consider a transceiver (combined transmitter and receiver - rather than just a receiver). Have it in your flight bag for the days that the aircraft radio lets you down - either through a breakdown or your own fingers getting the switches wrong. ("Finger Trouble" as we call it).

Hope it helps - remember - it's only an OPINION.

Pianorak
25th May 2003, 00:18
Thanks, Keygrip. I realize it's a subjective question and also that I shouldn't run before I have learnt to walk. ;)
I will of course be attending the Ground School run by my flying school - so that should help.
RANT 2000 is definitely on my shopping list - for later!

Evo
25th May 2003, 02:27
IMHO... ;)

Save RANT for your IMC - it's way too much for the PPL. To be honest it's over the top for the IMC as well, but if it saves me an hour in the air it has paid for iteself. :)

As for the others, I've got the Oxford RT CDs (agree completely with Keygrip) and the Maycom. It's an occasionally-useful toy (good for listening to ATIS while you have a cup of tea) but I wouldn't say it is much use for anything else.

Keef
25th May 2003, 04:22
Agree pretty much with what's already been said.

The Maycom is OK if you want to listen to all sorts - it's really for a different breed.

For pure aviation use, I'd go for a transceiver - something like the Icom - which may save your life some day. I never leave without mine in my flight bag!

High Wing Drifter
25th May 2003, 08:02
Fred,

Trust me. You need nothing more than the Thom books (1,2,3,4), CAP413, Human Factors for Pilots (ISBN 0-291-39827-8) and the PPL Confuser. The multimedia stuff will add nothing. The instrument stuff will just confuse the situation.

That list will get 90%+ passes on all subjects so long as you read everything fully and test yourself with the Confuser.

The little Maycom Scanner is worth a purchase too. But don't let real-life R/T corrupt your ability to pass the R/T exams. Only verbatim CAP413 recall will be of assistance there!

Good luck!

DBChopper
25th May 2003, 16:58
Fred R,

I agree with High Wing Drifter. I did most of my studying from Trevor Thom's tomes but the best money I ever spent (that didn't involve burning it in an engine) was on the PPL confuser. Have a read through and study of the text books, then before the exam hammer the confuser - you won't regret it (and I'm assuming they've updated it for JAR as I'm a CAA licence holder).

DBChopper
:cool:

Pianorak
25th May 2003, 17:19
Thanks everybody for replies. Got all 7 T. Thom tomes and the updated PPL Confuser, as well as the various AICs mentioned by Thom. Shall get the other book recommendations anon.
As to the transceiver: at this stage I feel it's too early for such an expensive item. (Anyway, I am not your average millionaire and can't see myself getting my own a/c.) A scanner would allow me to get used to R/T communications. If the AR-108 Maycom isn't the right one which one would you recommend? Perhaps the ICOM IC-R5?
As I am training at WW which has no ATC, would I be able to pick up WAP and/or any of the other nearby aerodromes? - Sorry to have to ask, but I am in total ignorance on this matter. :confused:
BTW: Ok - RANT2000 is definitely OTT at the moment!:rolleyes:

Foggles
25th May 2003, 18:48
Hi

Go on to EBAY and buy a secondhand Tranceiver !!

This will be much more use to you - you can listen in
on RT now and it will be a backup for later ..

I bought an ICOM 23 in South Africa for £200 (new) with
the tax rebate at the airport . Its great . I dont think they
sell it here but the A22 version is fine !! ..

Also - get some RT tapes for the car .

The other tapes are boring , I've tried them , and you lose the
will to live after 15 minutes !!

Get the Oxford Aviation Met CD .

otherwise use the books .

all this is my opinion as student !!

have fun !!!

Pianorak
25th May 2003, 19:53
Thanks Foggles Shall bear your advice in mind.
Having already loads of fun flying. Most exciting thing I've ever embarked upon.

Keygrip
25th May 2003, 20:14
Fred - sorry, I may have misunderstood.

When you suggested various teaching aids, I thought you wanted to LEARN things - but now you suggest you have bought the "confuser" - which most buy as a means to PASS THE EXAMS.

There is a great difference at the end of the course between those who have studied the subjects and those who have used the confuser.

I know I'm going to gte flamed for having said that - especially by all those who have used the confuser to qualify for a licence - but I also know it's true, you do not LEARN the stuff you have temporarily memorised from the confuser.

(Evo - I would have thought that RANT was perfect for IMC rather than OTT. I know I hadn't a clue about tracking NDB's on fixed card ADF's - even with an IMC rating. An hour or two of RANT - with the right instruments selected - would have solved that problem).

Pianorak
25th May 2003, 21:45
Keygrip - nearly had me confused there. LOL

Greedy as I am I want to do both: LEARN and PASS THE EXAMS, hence the Seven Thom Tomes etc. etc. AND the Confuser. I do agree with you entirely though: slowly, slowly catch your monkey - there is no shortcut.
Shall probably bite the bullet and go for a Transceiver. I really must get used to the idea that taking up flying leads in a straight line to penury, financial ruin and evemtually the local soup kitchen.
:{

Keygrip
25th May 2003, 22:24
Saw an SP-200 Nav/Com (http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=19&Product_ID=5001&CATID=93) advertised today in Sportys Pilot Shop (http://www.sportys.com/shoppilot/) for $279. That would be ABOUT £186 plus shipping.

Would that help??

Pianorak
25th May 2003, 23:01
Thanks Keygrip. Have had a look at the website. Awfully tempting and sounds great - especially the 8.33 kHz spacing and VOR facility.
My main query: Does it comply with UK requirements/regulations. And what happens if it has to be returned for whatever reason. However, shall enquire locally from people who'll probably have the answers.
Thanks again.

rustle
25th May 2003, 23:23
Best learning aids are the two on the sides of your head and the one you eat with. :) (Seriously)

Amazing how much more you learn from asking a question and then listening to the answer/explanation - more so from people who really know what they're talking about.

PS, WRT the transiever, most of the people who post on Flyer Forum also post here :D

Pianorak
26th May 2003, 01:48
Well, Keygrip, having made enquiries the deal is no longer quite as tempting. It seems that in addition to airfreight I'll be liable in the UK to 12% duty, 17.5% VAT and an admin fee.
Even so, many thanks for having gone to the trouble of finding out. Much appreciated.

rustle I couldn't agree with you more. However, by consulting different sources and using different media you can get a different perspective on a subject.
Flyer and Pprune forums - belt and braces, eh? ;)
That said my first impression was that Pprune was mainly US postings - but I was probably mistaken.

IO540-C4D5D
26th May 2003, 04:44
Fred R

A transceiver is a great thing to carry especially if you are renting because the planes are likely to have poorly maintained avionics and a radio failure is a very big inconvenience at best and could be pretty dangerous in some situations (e.g. the only field within your fuel range is a very busy one, or you need to call 121.5 for any reason).

Pianorak
26th May 2003, 04:51
IO540 - Right, I am now convinced - a transceiver shall be ordered forthwith! :cool:

charlie-india-mike
26th May 2003, 06:29
Fred R

If you buy a transceiver, make sure that it is CAA approved as you will also have to register it and pay the license fee (about £15 if I remember rightly) and they do ask for the CAA approval number on the application form.

C-I-M

IO540-C4D5D
27th May 2003, 17:26
charlie-india-mike

I believe you are technically correct; however

a) I think that the radio license which you must get as part of your PPL course covers the operation of whatever radio you have IN THE AIRCRAFT, so a license is required only if you are to use the transceiver outside it

b) Perhaps all transceivers openly for sale in the pilot shops are CAA approved - which is why they are the same 5-10 year old models ie ICOM A22 or whatever, not the much nicer and smaller American-market ICOM products of which some have a voice recording function, but which, I dare say, could be legally imported if not legally used?

c) For emergencies, nobody is going to give a damn. There's you floating in your life raft, calling up an airliner at FL350 on 121.50 to relay a mayday message (the range will be pretty good for doing that!)...

Evo
30th May 2003, 18:28
(Evo - I would have thought that RANT was perfect for IMC rather than OTT. I know I hadn't a clue about tracking NDB's on fixed card ADF's - even with an IMC rating. An hour or two of RANT - with the right instruments selected - would have solved that problem).

RANT is excellent, no doubt - one of the best training aids that I've got. However, it makes it very easy to get hung up about HSIs, ADF dip, gates, DME arcing and all sorts of other things that you'll never need for the IMC.

Keygrip
30th May 2003, 18:49
Evo - et al. - very true.
There are many instruments in the package that you will likely never need - for an IMC or PPL.............so don't turn them on.

Just leave the damned thing set on fixed card ADF and simple CDI style VOR.

Still well worth the money.

charlie-india-mike
30th May 2003, 19:45
IO540-C4D5D

a) I think that the radio license which you must get as part of your PPL course covers the operation of whatever radio you have IN THE AIRCRAFT, so a license is required only if you are to use the transceiver outside it

That bit is correct

but !!!!

The radio set itself needs to be licenced as do the radios installed in the aircraft.

CAA form ACT1 1001 Issue 1

C-I-M