PDA

View Full Version : PIA to STN?

FastJet Wannabe
24th May 2003, 03:34
Hi Everyone,

A rumour has been brought to my attention that PIA may be moving their MAN operation to STN as of; soon!

If true this is interesting, and a major break through for STN in gaining another long-haul route (there aren't many!).

If anybody has anything to add, it would be much appreciated!

Regards,

FJW.

Ringwayman
24th May 2003, 05:16
The only bit that may be moving is the transatlantic routes (and I believe the BHX routes will be similarly affected), but expect both MAN + BHX to "convince" them to keep the routes where they are.

I had heard the provisional date for the transfer will be the 15th July.

Call Established
24th May 2003, 05:44
That the MAN and BHX transit flights to JFK, ORD and YYZ are all moving to STN something to do with a great incentive scheme on landing fee's on offer at STN......!!!!!!!

eng123
24th May 2003, 05:58
Heard the same today from a STN fueller.He said they have been awarded the contract for ruelling 18 747's a week! Seems a huge number,especially for STN,but the incentives on offer must be good.The airport has been desperate to attract long haul flights back after brief flirtations with American,Continental and such like.
At the moment there is only the very occasional EL-AL [ignoring the freighter's]
Hopefully things like this will go towards the government agreeing to another runway and further expansion at STN,despite the local opposition.

crewmeal
24th May 2003, 14:37
Funny that - PIA have just launched with a blaze of publicity the service to ORD from BHX. Why start up the route then close it 2 months down the line????

Tom the Tenor
24th May 2003, 16:41
Why? The accountants are in charge! :suspect:

FastJet Wannabe
24th May 2003, 17:53
eng123,

I too heard it will be 18 x 747 per week.

Anyone care to speculate who may be awarded the ground handling contract?

BAe 146-100
24th May 2003, 18:45
Hi,

Why would PIA want to do this :confused:. The flights are always full from MAN.

http://home.enter.vg/chriskam/pia747-200.jpg

Regards
BAe 146-100

Wycombe
24th May 2003, 20:12
....should make the rooftops of Wythenshawe a bit safer!

Caslance
24th May 2003, 20:59
The rooftops of Wythenshawe (south of 06/24 centreline) never did have anything to fear.

Rather it is the good burghers of Cheadle and Stockport (not to mention Mobberley when 06 is in use) who tremble with fear and trepidation each time an aircraft of the Vintage 747 Display Team (aka PIA) creaks and grinds it's way into the disbelieving air.;)

chiglet
25th May 2003, 00:46
Manch has a daily [AFAIK] Manch=Islamabad. It also has a Pakistan [diff deps] -JFK, JFK- Pakistan. [Lahore, Karachi]
EGCC-OPRN 85-100% BOTH ways "Bounce" flights DO pick up and drop off.
As for us..."We know NOTHING :{ "
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

carbootking
25th May 2003, 22:27
service air have got the contract on when they start theyll have 3 flights on a wednesday ihaerd its bad enough trying to move when the turkish flights r in but this the car parks wont know ware to put all the relatives to see their loved ones come and go i cant wait

sisyphus1965
26th May 2003, 00:43
I wouldn't worry to much. Because the flights are stopping on their way from Pakistan to the USA the majority of relatives would have waved them of in Pakistan or the USA. The numbers getting on and off in the UK is usually minimal.

Departures Beckham
26th May 2003, 05:34
From what I've heard the contract with Servisair Globeground has not been signed, so there's still time for it to go elsewhere.

An interesting point was raised today however, being that we don't actually have transit facilities (i.e. a transit lounge) at STN. Now that the FCF is attached to Sat 3 there is no seperated boarding area, and transit pax will not be allowed onto Sat 1 or 2's Departures Level as we don't allow inbound and outbound pax to meet.

Interesting to see what STAL decide to do about it.

P.S. It looks as though we're no longer the Millennium Gateway (signs have been removed in Sat 1), anyone like to suggest what we could now be called? Answers on a postcard.

carbootking
27th May 2003, 17:49
this is to dp beckam u forget about the gate 99 bit the over flow when they bus them they could turn that bit into wot u were saying

Departures Beckham
27th May 2003, 18:03
The probem with the APV (gates 90-99) is that it is needed for inbound domestic passengers arriving on international stands, and BAA would be silly to give it away as it is their only way of bussing pax to Sat 1 if the TTS fails.

Of course they could bus inbound domestic pax to Gate 81 for instance and also bus outbound Sat 1 pax from there, but it still leaves the problem of the size. It's not very big, has just two toilets and no other facilities. If they wanted to let the pax up to the main departure lounge they'd have to set up a security search point here. This would all eat into the turnaround time, and basically pax wouldn't have any time in the departure lounge (shopping mall) before we started boarding again.

If you were refering to the FCF (former Gate 93 - the silver air-raid shelter!). this is now attached to Sat 3 and used by Ryanair.

carbootking
28th May 2003, 03:01
to dp beckam i know theres always the 2 half of sat 2 they can do up put the diver wall up still a bit far fetched i know

Departures Beckham
28th May 2003, 04:01
It'll be interesting to see what they do do (I love it when repeating words make sense!). Here's my lowdown!

Sat 1 - It does have the Servisair exec lounge for business class pax, and potentally an area around Gates 15/16 or 17/18/19 could be sectioned off to include the gate 13 bathrooms. With the current flights scheduled for Sat 1 it would not be feasible to section off an area for PIA pax only, unless flights are mainly outside peak hours. If this was to go ahead I imagine that some flights may need to be moved to Sat 2 to make more space.

Presumably BAA would need to provide staff to ensure that the temporary barriers are not breached, and then (security) sweep the area after each flight.

Sat 2 - Easier to seperate than Sat 1 as less flights, but only one set of bathrooms. Business class pax could use the Servisair exec lounge in Sat 1 and then take the transit to the gate. Again BAA would need the staff to secure the area.

Sat 3/FCF - Whilst the easy option would be to use the FCF as Ryanair flights could be switched to Sat 2, PIA will want their business class pax to use an executive lounge.

That's just how I see things, we'll have to wait and see I guess.

longarm
28th May 2003, 12:18
Caslance,

When did Wythenshaw move south of 06/24 centreline ? nobody told me, if thats the case then I must live their !

carbootking
29th May 2003, 02:31
iv heard now baa have told a few people that pia arnt coming and never were

jocko0102
29th May 2003, 22:56
No S**T the penny may finally drop.

Caslance
30th May 2003, 02:04
When did Wythenshaw move south of 06/24 centreline ? nobody told me, if thats the case then I must live their !

Errmmmmm................

Ummmmmmm................

Ahhhhhhh................

I'll get my coat! :ooh: