PDA

View Full Version : RVAs, terrain clearance & IFR departures

granny smith
23rd May 2003, 05:58
Question 1: does a Radar Vectoring Area apply to departing IFR aircraft?

Question 2: on what basis are departing IFR aircraft allowed to turn off SIDs direct to a point or onto a radar heading?

Question 3: can anyone give me a reference to the relevant national or (preferably) ICAO docs?

Thanks

ATCbabe
23rd May 2003, 09:39
Radar vectoring areas are there to make the descent of inbounds easier for a controller. It takes into account things like airspace restrictions and terrain and obstacle clearance.

As far as outbounds are conserned the minimum sector altitudes are used. This takes into account terrain, obstacles etc. Generally speaking a/c are turned off sids once they are at the msa or higher. Very rarely will they be taken off before this.

vintage ATCO
24th May 2003, 04:25
RVAs show the minimum level a radar controller can use to ensure compliance with Rule 29. It is of more relevance to arrivals as departures are normally climbing well above this level.

SIDs at most airfields contain the Noise Preferational Routes and there is a general convention (in the UK) that acft are not turned off the SID until through 3000ft QNH although this could vary. At Luton, for instance, acft can't be turned off one route until through 4000ft although this is because of airspace and not so much noise.

I think the ICAO Doc you want is PANS-OPS Doc 8168 although I will have to check. (Don't think the thing about turning off SIDs would be there.)

HTH

VA